[Titel changed] Raid1 keeps breaking (Was: Samba somehow not working)

• Hi there,

I just updated my NAS to OMV 1.5 and now somehow Samba isn't working :(

I say somehow because I could create a folder but can't delete it afterwards (no rights) and I wasn't allowed to create another folder either. I can see my folders and files and can access them but I don't have the rights to create new stuff or delete something.

I checked the permissions - everything as it should be. Except one thing: I like to use the ACL function under "Shared Folders" and give recursive rights - that doesn't work anymore:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; setfacl --remove-all --recursive -m 'default:user:ines:0,user:ines:0,default:user:rico:7,user:rico:7,default:user:xbmc:0,user:xbmc:0,default:user::7,user::7,default:group::7,group::7,default:other::0,other::0' -- '/media/7fa23871-e987-43a0-b5f4-3c40fbadf372/Rico/' 2>&1': setfacl: /media/7fa23871-e987-43a0-b5f4-3c40fbadf372/Rico//99_Datensicherungen/10_P5110/xxx_TWRP: Read-only file system setfacl: /media/7fa23871-e987-43a0-b5f4-3c40fbadf372/Rico//zu taggen: Read-only file system

I already had this problem occasionally (not quite sure but I think usually after updating) but could solve it with giving permissions again and/or rebooting my NAS.
    So more or less everything was worked fine already.

I tried it with my Ubuntu PC, my wife's Win7 laptop and my tablet.

Any advice is really appreciated... ?(

Thanks in advance
    fahrer17

Edit:
    Added this error message:

Code
    Fehler #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; setfacl --remove-all --recursive -m 'default:user:ines:0,user:ines:0,default:user:rico:7,user:rico:7,default:user:xbmc:0,user:xbmc:0,default:user::7,user::7,default:group::7,group::7,default:other::0,other::0' -- '/media/7fa23871-e987-43a0-b5f4-3c40fbadf372/Rico/' 2>&1': setfacl: /media/7fa23871-e987-43a0-b5f4-3c40fbadf372/Rico//99_Datensicherungen/10_P5110/xxx_TWRP: Read-only file system
    setfacl: /media/7fa23871-e987-43a0-b5f4-3c40fbadf372/Rico//zu taggen: Read-only file system' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc:1160
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceShareMgmt->setFileACL(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('setFileACL', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('ShareMgmt', 'setFileACL', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Thank you for your reply! That issue drives me crazy :|

If you have omv-extras, in the shared folder section there is reset permission folder. You can apply that and see if with the default you can set again your ACL

OK, I will try that.

As a personal recommendation use privileges instead of ACL, is the button next to it

Hm, what's the advantage of this or rather the disadvantage of ACL?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• I don't get it, things are really strange... ;(

I rebooted my machine and everything was fine for 1 or 2 minutes: I could create and delete testfolders and -files and add a CD to my music folder but now it happens again: No rights to change anything in my folders.

What is going on here?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• The problem here is clearly an ACL permissions mismatch.

• Goto Services -> SMB/CIFS -> Shares -> Click on the share name and select 'Edit' -> Uncheck the tick 'Set read-only'.
    • Goto Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders -> Click on the folder name and select 'Privileges' -> Tick 'Read/Write' next to your username

You can always login via admin over SMB, it has read/write permissions by default (unless you changed them).

If both the above didn't work, delete the Share from SMB/CIFS, then delete the Shared Folder while selecting 'No' when prompted to delete existing data. Next create a new Shared Folder, give it the same path as the previous one. While creating the folder, make sure you select 'Administrator: read/write, Users: read/write, Others: read-only'. Once the folder is created click on 'Privileges' and select 'read/write' next to your username. Afterwards create a new SMB share.

That should do the trick. :)

Like @subzero79 said, ACL messes up User Rights and File Permissions, it isn't really necessary if you run OMV for home use. Use the easier to manage 'Privileges' option in Shared Folders to set User Rights.

Version: OMV 1.6 (Kralizec) w/ Backports 3.16 amd64 Kernel & OMV-Extras.org 1.2
    Hardware: HP g6 w/ Intel Core i7 Processor, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Services: AFP, SMB/CIFS, SSH, FTP, Plex, AutoShutdown

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Damian ()

• Hi, please read the error message. The most important information is 'Read-only file system'. So setfacl fails because the filesystem is in read-only mode. You have to find out why this is so.

Yeah, that's how I understand it as well. Unfortunately finding that out is far beyond my linux competence :/
    Very strange, since I didn't change anything except installing updates. Moreover I have a second OMV running in a VB where I test things (so I don't have to mess around with my "real" NAS) - everything's fine here.

Solo0815:
    I don't hope so - but will check that for sure as well.
    Would be VERY surprising: My NAS runs only on demand. If the total running time is more than 100 hours I would pay beer for all ;)
    But heh, we are talking about computers... :rolleyes:

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Damian:
    Thanks for your reply - sounds like a passable solution :)
    I will check that as soon as I'm back home. And the kids sleeping...

But how can this happen? As mentioned already: Everything was ok before...?!

...and I will stay away from ACL in future :D

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• @fahrer17

I got the same error message after a upgrade of my OMV. In my case the file system on my data drive was corrupted.
    If other suggestions don't fix your problem, try running fsck on the drive either on another Linux box or using a LiveCD.

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

• @fahrer17

I got the same error message after a upgrade of my OMV. In my case the file system on my data drive was corrupted.
    If other suggestions don't fix your problem, try running fsck on the drive either on another Linux box or using a LiveCD.

Cool, thanks! I put this as #1 on my list :)

And fsck knows what to do? Or is it going to mess up things even worse?
    (Well, I can still do a new installation anyway...)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• I am still working on my problem.
    When I turned my NAS on today I discovered the update to 1.6 which I installed. After that everything was fine for about 5-10 minutes; I created and deleted a few folders and files. But after short the known problem occurred again.

@subzero79:
    Here is the mount report. Please be aware that I have a 64GB SSD for the system and 2x4TB containing my data in RAID1. Maybe someone can understand what's written here - I don't...

Edit:
    Forgot to mention I will do the fsck thing the next days...

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!