Restrict permissions of symlinks in shared/samba folder for a certain user

• Hi,

to avoid problems I took my downloads folder out of my samba share and created a symlink instead. Now I want to give one user only read permission. But although I've set the check mark to read only for the downloads folder over omv webui (only use privileges), the user is still able to create folder or files in it.
    Afterwards I've read that a symlink get the permissions from the linked folder and changed the permissions with chmod to "555" to test it. Rebooted both desktop and server but nothing has changed.

Any advices how I can adjust the permissions to reach my target? :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The privileges act on the samba layer, make sure you kick out the user first, and restart Samba. Or more drastic reboot the server
    In the shared folder section (if you have omv-extras) there is a reset permission button. From there all files inside would be back to 775 and root:users

You don't need to move the folder outside, with a symlink he still reaches it. If you want to go granular with the file system permission go to that subfolder an place an ACL to read only for that user

• You don't need to move the folder outside,...

Read something here, that a shared folder inside a shared folder/samba share isn't the best. So I set up the symlink to everybodys "home"-folder. But not every user should have write permissions to the linked folder. Isn't it necessary to create symlinks to avoid multiple shared folder inside of another one?

I will set the permissions to default, reboot and try it again and reboot again :)

• Another suggestion, use a dedicated download folder and symlink it to there, if neccessary.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!