Flashing cursor when rebooting / Blackscreen

• Seems like I found the solution - but I am not sure yet. Will look if the reboots are consistent and stable, because my first OMV-installation rebooted sometimes fine and then suddenly it wouldn't work anymore for some reasons.

I was asking for help in a few #debian IRC channels and somebody immediately suggested to try different "reboot="-kernel options.

At first none of them did work (not even reboot=efi). Wen't to the UEFI and enabled Legacy-Mode again (Linux has no problems with switching UEFI/Legacy-mode on the fly it seems) and it booted up fine.
    Opened up a terminal per SSH, logged in as root and:
    nano /etc/default/grub
    changed GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=bios"

Saved everything, ran "update-grub" and rebooted without any issues so far. Hopefully it will stay like that :)

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• Just because of the screen, I could live without it. But if you need to use it then i guess you need to fix that. I noticed that you cloned the other install from the SSD, i would try clean install also.

Oh my. NOW I know what you mean. I would not care at all if it only was a graphical output problem. That was NEVER the case. The whole system would not even boot, it was a complete freeze. Sometimes at shutdown(okay, that only happened when I experimented with different reboot=-kernelparameters), always at/after GRUB (but only when I rebooted). Was I not specific enough? Tried my best to deliver all informations that I could give :/

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• Okay, same problem persists...

• Did you try GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=acpi".
    This works for me until 3 Days with at least 10 reboots via GUI.
    I'am using the standart OMV install without any kernel-backport etc.
    only Samba,NFS, autoshutdown-plugin....

Cooler Master Elite 110
    ASRock Q1900-ITX
    GeIL Green SO-DIMM 2x2GB, DDR3L-1333
    3x Western Digital WD green 3TB
    1x 60GB BOOT-SSD
    be quiet! System Power 7 300W

• I can confirm I have such problems very rarely, too. If i reboot manually by pressing the reboot button, it boots up just fine. Hard sometimes if I wake it up remotely via WOL and hope it´ll start properly. Don´t know when it happened first, a few months ago. But it happened about 3 times since then. Did not try anythin till now.

• Did you try GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=acpi".
    This works for me until 3 Days with at least 10 reboots via GUI.
    I'am using the standart OMV install without any kernel-backport etc.
    only Samba,NFS, autoshutdown-plugin....

Yep, I've tried that one also - Was not consistent enough. The problem came back after a few days.

• Hi,
    I have same problem, sometimes (very often) when I restart system from the Start menu, booting stuck with black screen and blinking cursor in the top left corner. I tried update BIOS and different options in BIOS and no change,,,
    My configuration:
    - ASRock Q1900-ITX
    - OS Windows Server 2012
    - 2x2GB RAM Transcend 1333MHz, TS256MSK64V3N
    - HDD 2TB WDC WD20EARS with OS + HDD 3TB WDC WD30EZRX
    - picoPSU power supply

Did you resolve this issue ?

• No external devices are attached at my server - also rebooting with ubuntu and windows works without any trouble.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!