16TB Limit

• Yup. Especially not if those: New 8TB "Archive/Cloud HDDs" from Seagate are coming... who trys them first? hit the market in the next year.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It is a rare issue. It only happens when you create an ext4 filesystem less than 16 tb and want to expand to more than 16tb. The only solution seems to be to use 64 bit flag all the time instead of letting the system choose. The system could never choose correctly every time because it doesn't know if you will someday expand to more than 16 TB. We just need to figure out if there are any side effects.

I think this fixed my issue. I deleted my old file system and added a new larger one. I'll add some more drives as soon as I can and see what happens.

• Fixed in openmediavault 1.8, see http://sourceforge.net/p/openmediavault/code/1632

Though it does not fix for you guys...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Is there a command I can run so know if I'll experience this same limitation when I try to grow my array? If I need to backup my array as it is now and recreate it (as you say it's fixed) I'd rather do it now than later when it'll contain even more data.

• If your array was created before 1.8, it certainly will be a 32bit filesystem.

Greetings
    David

• Sorry to post in an old thread but it seems the issue is still occurring. I created an ext4 file system about 3 days back of from 3 drives in LVM with total space of 10TB. Today I tried adding 2 more drives of 3TB each and the file system gives the same error "resize2fs: new size too large to be expressed in 32 bits" when I try to resize the fs.

• installation is 64bit:

Code
    Linux SERVER 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.73-2+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

dumpe2fs:

I'll try using gparted and see if that works

• Didn't work with gparted for me, I was getting errors with the e2fsck there but I was sure my FS was fine and no errors with an fsck I did about 10 mins before it so I aborted that and tried with SystemRescueCd and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for the help guys

• I ran in this issue right now.

Failed to grow the filesystem '/dev/md127': resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
    resize2fs: New size too large to be expressed in 32 bits

Is there any step by step help using the "another OS" solution ?

• I'm afraid that, to my knowledge, there is no way - risky or not - to alter this option. Not even with another OS.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!