How to do lvm?

• Thanks I resolved all with lvm, the problem now is that I don't know how to create home folder for each user (student).
    I have to make a folder for each class that it is in my school. Inside each class I want to create folders for every students that are in that class and I want that the student can modify only his folder and he can't see what is in other folders of others students. How can I do it?

• But if there are 4 students for example:
    - jonny
    - alex
    - lucy
    - silvia
    Jonny and Alex are in the class 1A, but Lucy and Silvia are in the class 2B. If I do how you explain to me, their folders go in /dev/sda1/home. So after this, I have to move these user-folders in the appropriate class?

• The problem is that I want that when I create the users Jonny and Alex their home-folders go in 1A, and when I create users Lucy and Silvia their home-folders go in 2B.
    So i want these paths:
    /classes/1A/Jonny
    /classes/1A/Alex
    /classes/2b/Lucy
    /classes/2b/Silvia
    where Jonny,Alex,Lucy and Silvia can modify only their own folders and they can't see what is in another folders.
    Sorry for my english but I'm Italian.

• Hi.
    I've got the same problem. I was trying to "have fun" and play with LVM.
    Yesterday, I had installed fresh copy of OMV on my new machine with x64 Intel and 3 disks:
    * 60GB SSD (system OS)
    * 3TB HDD Seagate IronWolf
    * 3TB HDD Seagate Barracuda

I've installed LVM2 plugin with no problem. Then, I've tried to create Physical Volume in Storage » Logical Volume Management - with no luck.
    Device list is empty, I cannot choose or dropdown anything.

So, I've created a ext4 partition on Barracuda, just to check if it helps.
    I've got 2 entries now in File Systems:
    * /dev/sda1 - ext4 - system disk
    * /dev/sdc1 - ext4 - test drive
    * and still one disk is "unused" - IronWolf

But I still cannot create any Physical Volume in LVM...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably need to wipe the drives. But why are you using LVM with individual physical drives? I don't see much benefit from doing this. You don't want to pool them with LVM because a disk failure would cause you to lose everything. And you can't resize a physical disk.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anyway, no method worked.
    Even after wiping the drives.

Did you have a zfs signature on these drive by any chance?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, it was formatted and wiped by GParted even before I put my machine together, and then I wipe both of them with OMV GUI, just to be sure.

A lot of wiping utilities don't remove the zfs signature though. That is why I asked. I have never seen a drive not show up when it was 100% blank with no signatures unless the OS didn't see it either.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!