Network speed limited to ~40MB/s

• Hi,
    I am new with OMV - please be patient :)
    Recently I've bought a hardware for DIY NAS
    - Q1900B-IT motherbord wit SOC Celeron I1900 (quad core etc...)
    (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900B-ITX/index.pl.asp)
    - WD RED 1TB sata 3,
    - old hdd 2,5'' around 60GB (for system disk)
    - 2GB of ram.
    I've installed newest version of OMV (openmediavault_1.0.20_amd64) and made first configuration.
    I have an issue with file transfer. I using notebook (NIC- INTEL 82579LM GIGABIT) connected with ethernet cable directly to my nas (Realtec based card).
    Transfers are about 40MB/s - using CrystalDiskInfo 6.2.2 or simple smb sharing on windows 8.1 (eg. 1,4GB of data). I know that my computer is not an issue (transfer tested between my notebook and PREBUILD NAS eg. Netgear RN3220, Qnap TS-469L).
    Maybe someone has the same issue?
    PS. sorry for my English :)

In addition I've performed "hdparm -t dev/sd*" and:
    - WD RED Timing buffered.....: 113MB/s
    - hdd for os Timing buffered....: around 40MB/s - similar to speed in CrystalDisk and SMB sharing..???

• In addition I've performed "hdparm -t dev/sd*" and:
    - WD RED Timing buffered.....: 113MB/s
    - hdd for os Timing buffered....: around 40MB/s - similar to speed in CrystalDisk and SMB sharing..???

Please post the full output of the hdparm test, there must follow a value behind this - something which is calculated during the test period of about three seconds.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• OK, below tere are results of hdparm -tT depends of devices.

sda - hdd with OS
    sdb - WD RED

• Hi,
    Today i've checked my hardware with ubuntu server. I've installed os on usb3.0 pendrive (r/w speeds around 80-90MB/s) and after that i performed test using iperf tool. Results was similar to those in previous post.

Zitat

Transfers are about 40MB/s -

Also I've tried old kernel 3.16 form OMV-extras.

--- and maybe I should set a new thread about my case?

• Any crap hardware inbetween your NAS and your Notebook that could limit your transfer speed? Is your notebook maybe using Wifi instead of the wired connection?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I don't think so,

Just ruling out every possible problem. ;)

1) I checked 3 ethernet cables

Good. ;)

2) I am not connected via wifi

Good. ;)

3) I am quite sure that my notebook's NIC is working with speed around 1Gbit.

Good. ;)

I've tried:
    whaleblubber.ca/realtek-nic-issues/

See, I have the exact (!) same realtek chipset, and it works like a breeze for me! I'm easily achieving speeds above 110 Megabyte/s.

So, I suspect a problem outside of your NAS rather than a problem with your NAS itself.

You know your notebook can do GBit speed, but, is it the same connection you used for testing, that your NAS is connected now? Is there a different/additional Switch inbetween, is it maybe another Port thats used, which could be faulty?

Also I've tried old kernel 3.16 form OMV-extras.

3.2 < 3.16 ;) The latter is newer.

Oh and also I split your Thread apart, like you asked.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• after that i performed test using iperf tool

Transfers are about 40MB/s -

Erm... when you tried iperf... did you only try single connection or did you also enable parallel connections? Without parallel connections you won't reach far more speed.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat

Any crap hardware inbetween your NAS and your Notebook that could limit your transfer speed? Is your notebook maybe using Wifi instead of the wired connection?GreetingsDavid

First atempts were with direct connection with single ethernet cable 6e. Right now I have gigabit router Luxul XWR-1750 andwith this device, results are a little bit wrost.

Zitat

Erm... when you tried iperf... did you only try single connection or did you also enable parallel connections? Without parallel connections you won't reach far more speed.
    David

I've performed typical test with TCP window 128k and buffer 64k. On this parameters i've received the best results. What do you mean "single connection"?

Tommorow I am going to test with other computer, maybe there is an issue with my notebook, but as i said before - I performed silimat tests wit my notebook with Netgear ReadyNas RN3220.

Solo0815 - I will check this ubuntuforum.

• What do you mean "single connection"?

IPperf uses a single connection by default. You won't saturate your GBit with just a single connection so use the parallel connections flag and try with 5-10 parallel connections.

Greetings
    David

• But still it doesnt aresolve my issue
    Today I am going to test my "nas" with other computer. The funnies thing is that, my friend bought the same motherboard and his "nas" is working with decent speed around 115MB/s.

• So you did check with parallel connections? And didnt achieve more speed?

Greetings
    David

• So, I didn't expected that my hdd on my notebook is dying. Transfer speed on my notebook's hdd is about 40MB/s of transfer between partitions. My friend was connected to my NAS and he gets around 90-110MB/s. We have been testing two NAS distro ane I've noticed that on "xpenology "(based on synology software) transfer over CIFS/SMB is a little bit higher then on OMV.
    It is possible to manage data via webbrowser I didn't find this feature yet.
    Thank you for help!
    Merry christmas
    /Wesołych Świąt :)

• Extplorer plugin is what you're looking for.

Greetings
    David

• Well,
    explorer seems be a good option but there is other way of managing my files on NAS?
    E.g i woud like to attach usb stick to NAS and copy only part of data, I know that there is a "backup" but this plugin is copying all data to hdd. I am looking for simple and similar possibility to manage data as it is on e.g Qnap, Synology. Simple copying/moving data from /to usb from/to shared folder by normal user not admin.
    I hope my idea is clear for you....

• Yeah, we don't have that, except Extplorer. Extplorer runs as users group, so you can only harm the user data, but not system files.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!