Sync files across sites from one specific share?

• Hello friends. I'm wondering if there's a way to sync files across sites. I had mentioned before in another thread that I was aiming to use ownCloud for this client, but I wasn't in favor of ownCloud being a bit staggered on releases with OMV. Once I gave it even more thought, I didn't like the idea of ownCloud much at all for this client, mostly because ownCloud is something that really requires some degree of maintenance. For me, it's easy, but I'd rather put something in place for a user and have it just work as long as possible without worrying about if the new major release will break anything or if they are updating their system to grab the latest security updates, etc.

So with that, a need remains. Basically a friend of mine who has their own business has two physical sites. One at home, one at the office. These people are husband/wife, and due to child care, will often trade who is where while working. Their goal is to have sensitive files synced between the two locations. You might see now why ownCloud came to mind over something like Dropbox. Is there a way, perhaps with a Unison-like feature, that I can do that?

Envision this.

Home site would contain the OMV server with DDNS and a domain. The home would also contain a Windows based client desktop computer. The office (2nd physical site) would have nothing but a Windows based client desktop computer. Given that scenario, how can I rig it up so the files edited by site 2 get synced to site 1? Am I stuck with a cloud service for this? Or is there something within OMV I can do?

What I'd like is to set up their OMV as an actual NAS, so it provides a directory for them to sync their files to. I'd like to have another "share" which is the point that the two sites actively share. That way their actively sync'd work data is in one location, and all home data in another location, but still all within the same OMV box.

I'm drawing a blank on ideas. Anybody have any? I'm all ears!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Client? no I think is peering, they are all clients/servers at the same time sort of....

But you can send whole folders with a link or a QR code, they have mobile phone apps, windows mac application. Is not so bad at all. I find it really practical.

The initial folder setup in OMV is a little bit confusing at the beginning, but after that it goes ok

• Sounds good. I basically just need ownCloud, but without the web piece of it. Make sense? Two folders (1 on each machine) that can sync to/from that specific target directory on the OMV server across physical sites.

I didn't give BTsync a thought. I'll have to test it out.

• I guess there are different approaches to achieve a site-to-site data sync'ing. Call me somehow overcautious, but I never rely on third-party services when I have to connect two sites for exchanging data.
    My favorite is to build a secured site-to-site VPN and then let a rsync job do the data sync. But such a VPN requires appropriate router hardware with encryption levels like AES-256, preshared keys and so on.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do the same for rsyncing pst files across with raw rsync protocol over openvpn. I do also mount my remote smb's through openvpn (tun of course)

But in this case he is looking for a simpler solution, similar to owncloud which is a PITA to install an get over the certificates and stuff. btsync is very handy and has several platform support.

The other day I've played a while with seafile (similar to owncloud). Interesting approach the use a userspace library for files so they don't access your mounted data folders. However they have a fuse implementation to export the file library to a folder in read only mode. Took me like 10 minutes to set up without certificate and like 1 hour and half with certificate. They have very good documentation in their website for ngnix and apache setups with ssl, and it does not complain at all about untrusted domain.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!