To RAID or not to RAID

• Hi,
    i'm currently moving from Zyxel NSA325 with two 3TB Drives (JBOD) to a HP Gen8 Microserver (and want to use OMV).
    I'm not sure if i should use JBOD, RAID0 or none of these...
    I will use the Zyxel NAS as a backup system. So i don't need higher Raid levels.
    What would you prefer?
    Do you think i can just move my disks (JBOD) from the Zyxel NAS to the new microserver?

Thanks in advance
    Spiff1
    PS: Merry christnmas and a happy new year!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're only using two drives (thus, raid1)... I would not use raid. I used raid1 for a while, and due to some issues w/ my motherboard, was having constant issues with it. I switched back to JBOD, and simply set up a some rsync jobs to automatically copy data from "Drive A" to "Drive B". This has proven flawless for me. I usually set the data to backup 2-3x a day, so there's a fairly narrow window when Drive B does not mirror Drive A. Drive A is the drive I use to create shared folders for services, etc.

I also like this better than raid 1 because if I accidentally delete something, it's simply a matter of syncing it back from Drive B. I do not have my jobs set to delete data automatically from Drive B.. instead, I usually log into the webUI once or twice a month, enable that feature, and then run the job manually. After it's done.. I disable the delete function again.

Edit: Also, don't forget you'll need a drive for the OS.

• Maybe someone can tell how a Zyxel NAS builds and maintains a raid and if it can be detected on a non-Zyxel system, I don't know. I would just try to run the disks on the new system and see if they are detected. Have a backup and if it works, ok and if not, wipe the disks and build someting new and copy the data.

In a two-disk system with a reliable backup I would tend to a JBOD. A raid0 might be a little faster in reading and writing than a JBOD but I doubt that this makes a difference in the usability of the box.
    Raid0 stripes bitwise and if one disk fails all the data is lost. A JBOD stripes "filewise" and if one disk fails the content of the other disk is still useable.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Hi,
    thank you for your answers.
    I will use one of my spare 2.5" disks as the system disk.
    The microserver has got 4 bays. I will use two of them now and the others later (when needed).
    Backup system will be my "old" Zyxel NAS where i will install just another disk.
    Sounds like JBOD will be the way to go...
    Spiff1

• Wow !

@KM0201 - your way of managing data sounds like a good idea to me as well. In my home server and for most home users I think data doesn't change that dynamically anyways. So keeping one drive as primary and another as a secondary which gets rsync-ed every so often during the day should more than suffice. I think this may also have the advantage of keeping another drive spun down to keep power and noise down and may extend its life as well.

Thanks,

NG

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!