Which ISO - AMD64 or i386

• Hello Gurus,

I am finally ready to repurpose my trusted old desktop to the OMV NAS server.

My config is AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU with 1GB DDR SDRAM. A quick search shows this was a 32 bit processor.

So my question is which .iso file shall I use - amd64 or .i386?

Thanks in advance and a happy new year to you all.

- NG

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depending on what you want to do.. you might consider a RAM upgrade for that machine. I imagine you'd probably see a significant performance increase by maxing out the ram (or moving it to a minimum of 4gigs)...

Just a thought... assuming it can handle more RAM.

• Thanks KM0201 for your suggestion but these old DDR SDRAMs are now hard to find and more expensive.

I may upgrade the whole system down the road. It's my understanding that I should be able to upgrade a system and migrate the data drives without any loss of data. BTW, I will be having 2 X 2TB drives in the RAID1 configuration.

Thanks,

NG

• Really hard to find and expensive? I have a box full of SDRAM from retired XP PC we have replaced last year. Maybe I should offer them in the bay? ;)
    Where do you come from? I can send some to you.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looking at that this thread he started last month, his motherboard is an ECS K7VTA3

According to this , the motherboard takes up to 2x2gigs of 184pin DDR333/266/200 DDR SDRAM

I've found several prices on ebay for 2x2gig for about $20, but it's all ECC, which I doubt that board supports.

• Oh yeah, a somehow ancient Elitegroup board. I know it well, had some of them running in desktop PC.
    Should be sufficient for a low-utilized home NAS, only the NIC with 100mbit max throughput will not be the burner.
    And I doubt that, too - this board will not support ECC ram. Low-budget boards rarely do.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Thanks Datadigger & KM0201.

@datadigger - thanks for your offer to send me some DDR SDRAM. I live in California, bay area. As KM0201 pointed out mine is a K7VTA3 board with following memory specs -

• Accommodates two unbuffered 2.5V 184-pin slots
    • Supports the following memory speeds: DDR333, DDR266, DDR200
    • Each slot supports up to 1 GB with a total maximum cpacity of 2 GB

Not sure if you have any of those type but before I trouble you let me first get my board up and running with the existing memory (2 X 512MB DDR400).

Thanks so much for all the help by everyone around here.

NG

• Volker should rename the ISOs to x32 or x64

At the minimum I recommend the #16 in the FAQ (OpenMediaVault FAQ) be updated as :

Which version of the OpenMediaVault ISO should I take, i386 or amd64?
    Unless you have a very old CPU, its pretty much recommended to use the amd64 ISO, even on an INTEL CPU!
    For 32 bit CPUs use i386 (even on AMD CPUs), For 64 bit CPUs use amd64 (even on Intel CPUs)

- NG

• Offizieller Beitrag

Volker should rename the ISOs to x32 or x64

There's quite a few distros that use i386 and amd64 to identify their ISO's.. Debian, Ubuntu.. and others. Just a quick gander, it seems Fedora and OpenSuse (and probably others) use x64 or i586/i686 (didn't see any that use x32)....

Probably one of those things that would devolve into a multi page argument like init vs systemd.. :). Personally, I've always been a "don't reinvent the wheel" type..

• Though most distros don't do that, the Dummie User remains which will pick ix86 over amd64 because he has an Intel CPU.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!