Cifs/smb - privileges won't work only ACL

• Hello!

Have been reading many posts on the forum, and everybody say that we should only use privileges to set the rights on shared folders. So I also tried that, but I only got it to work when I set the ACL.

When I have setup the privileges i tried to login to the shared folder using win7, and mapped a drive like \\192.168.1.100\Mydir, and login With my username and password, but it didn't worked. Then I gave my user all rights in ACL for the shared folder, and I could login to the shared folder at once. Thought maybee it just have hang some, so tried to remove the ACL again, and then I couldn't login again.

Why is it that I have to use the ACL and everybody else just tells that we should only use the privileges??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because acl make direct change into file permissions. They tend to make appear odd behavior sometimes. Also some fuse mounts like aufs (very popular) don't support acl. Privileges work well using the valid list in samba and when the shared folder is 2775 and root:users
    If the login doesn't work is more likely to be caused by an out of sync password in between samba and the Linux password. You can test this with "smbpaswd username" and then enter the pwd in cli and check the login again in Windows.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!