Best way to pool multiple discs of differing sizes?

• Hey chums,

Tomorrow I'm changing the discs in my Microserver to which end I'll have 2x3TB and 2x2TB. I can have them as individual discs for music, film, backups etc... but is there a better way of pooling them, a la RAID, to make best use of space whilst providing some redundancy?

I have a good backup routine to external discs and cloud, so any thoughts welcome...

Muchos fankyoos.

Cleggy.

OMV 1.0 running on HP Microserver N40L, 8GB/5.5TB
    MiniDLNA, CUPS, Transmission, ClamAV
    Serving Linn DS music system and Raspberry Pi/OpenELEC

• You can't use software RAID though it will allow different sized disks use the equivalent of the smallest sized drive per drive. To use your setup as an example it will only use 2TB from each drive even though some drives are 3TB.

Your best best is probably SnapRaid plus AuFS to pool the drives since it will allow different sized drives.This is a good guide for Snapraid:
    SnapRAID Plugin Guide

From here install the AuFS plugin and configure that.

DAMONSTER - OMV 1.8 - 42TB RAID6
    XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

• Offizieller Beitrag

snapraid and aufs. snapraid will provide the parity (use largest drive for parity) and aufs will pool the drives (leave the parity drive out of the pool).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Many thanks both, much appreciated! Honest opinion - is this worth doing or would you recommend having individual drives for individual tasks (music, movies, etc)? I have a bit of a fear of RAID as I've seen it go wrong and trash everything, however I'm keen to make my storage as simple, flexible and reliable as possible. What would you folks do in my situation?

And if buying two more 3TB drives is best and "properly" RAIDing things I'd consider that, though I would need to delay the migration until funds permit me to buy the extra drives and extra backup space...

Thanks again, really do value your input.

Cleggy.

OMV 1.0 running on HP Microserver N40L, 8GB/5.5TB
    MiniDLNA, CUPS, Transmission, ClamAV
    Serving Linn DS music system and Raspberry Pi/OpenELEC

• Offizieller Beitrag

snapraid and aufs run on top of the filesystems. So, no need to have a fear of raid with this. You should use raid if you don't want down time. If you are looking for backup, then raid is not your answer.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think the best way to pool drives is not to pool drives. On your first data drive make a media folder. Then create storage shares on additional data drives. Use symlinks from the other drives to the main data drives media folders. I did write up on this already. I try to find you link.

See my post here:

Best way to organize CIFS shares

This is how I manage my disks. Then I backup whole drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!