Install updated OMV on Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition NAS and empty disk

• Hello all,

First of all, sorry for some eventual english errors.

I've been trying to give a "fresh life" to my old Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition NAS, and I heard about OMV.

So, I installed it from the stock firmware, following this tutorial I found. Works great, but it's and old OMV version which won't allow me to use some plugins I need (owndloud, miniDLNA, Transmission).

So I googled around and found some HOWTO's. I've erased my drive and did a fresh install from Wheezy following these instructions and now I ended up with a two white LEDs lit all the time and no network access to my drive.

So, here's my request: how can I install and updated version of OMV on my HMCE considering:
    a) empty drive (just have Wheezy on it atm but seems it's not working in the box)
    b) I'm not a linux expert, know just the basics, so a step-by-step tutorial would be nice.

I know I'm asking too much but I'm relly lost here and eager to have my NAS working again.

I kindly thank you all for the attention and patience.

Cheers!

• Hello!

Not solved, sorry.

And willri, can't install from ISO (as far as I know) because since it's a NAS, it requires an modded kernel. Processors, drivers, etc.

Cheers!

• Hello willri,

I'm thinking about give it another try.

I ended up with OMV 1.9 running on Debian Wheezy. It was running, but I had a lot of issues that made me quit. However, it requires a modded kernel since the NAS is way too old (about 5 years old or even more).

I would love that someone could make an updated install tutorial, with the proper files and versions to use. I messed my install so much that I don't even remember what exactly I did to fix several of the issues.

It seems the OMV 1.12 is the better version for this NAS. Not sure I'll be able to install it tho. I remember installing 0.4 and running apt-get update, then it ended up with 1.9. Not sure how to stop on 1.12.

Cheers!

• Offizieller Beitrag

5yrs old is not that old... There's some folks running OMV on equipment older than that (I did for a short time). It might require a modded kernel, although I can't really imagine why. I'm not really familiar w/ this device.. what exact problems are you running into, that makes you think you need a "modded kernel"?

• So, confirming there is no way to install it without a modded kernel on the HMNDCE?

Right, you need a kernel and a system, that fits to the ARM-processor.
    Install debian and then OMV. You can find further information and software about the first on nas-central.org and forum.doozan.com .

The needed serial-interface you can get in the bay for a few bucks or euros. The ones with prolific 2023 are really cheap, because they are known not to work with Win 8, but they do with driver 1.5.0 without any issues.

Good luck and patience!

BR
    Jan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!