hard drive failure after format

• Hi,
    As part of my test setup of OMV, ive formatted a drive to ext 4 using the full format option. The drive worked perfectly before and the format appeared successful. However the drive now completely locks out my BIOS when I try to boot. I get the first screen then everything is dead. I can't even get into the BIOS. If I remove the drive everything is fine again.

Any ideas please?
    Dave

• The drive is sata, but the motherboard is about 5 years old. How can I tell if its hot pluggable? Will it damage the drive otherwise?

Also, I'm a noob with Linux systems - where/ how do i find dmesg?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The manufacturer website should say for that model. But from age I am pretty sure is hot plug. Dmesg is just a command you run in ssh terminal, it gives info about hw. Also you may want check smart info for the drive in the webui, physical disk section.
    Are you sure you configured your bios to boot the os drive and not the data drive? It might be something like boot priority. Never seen a disk that can lock access to bios.

• ok, Im getting somewhere now. When I hot -plugged it, I got a couple of error codes at the command prompt:

[4060.443948] ata5: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x50000 action 0xe frozen
    [4060.444029] ata5: SError: {PHYRdyChg CommWake}

...but I can still log into the web admin. Now it sees the drive and all looks good. (Ive not tried to re-boot yet...!)
    Great thanks, HD is not dead at least :o)

Ive set a share on this drive and also have a different drive which is NTFS and contains old window stuff. I can access the NTFS stuff fine but the Ext4 drive share wont allow me to access via windows 7. What am I missing?

Dave

• ok, Ive just tried the reboot and it still hangs the system! Doh! Ive triple checked the bios settings and boot load priority.

Interestingly the other drive attached is an identical drive. I previously had it mirrored. Obviously now one is NTFS as it was before with all my files on, and the other - the problem drive - is blank with Ext4.

Ive tried it with just either one connected and the only hangs I get are when the ext 4 drive is connected.

Hmmmm....

• Ive tried swapping the cables, but no joy.
    Ive run the tests from within the web gui and they are all successful with no errors.

Still each time I re-start the same drive hangs the pc. The next thing to try is formatting it back to NTFS and try again...

• Ive run this system for years. Only recently I decided to kill the windows box and turn it into omv nas.
    Only one drive was reformatted and one drive that now causes BIOS to hang.

• OK, so Ive read about somebody else experiencing this from a different thread. It seems that the MBR gets corrupted on the drive. It can be fixed by using Diskpart in DOS and then using the clean command. ( Im sure there is a linux equivalent but I dont know what it is)

I had the same thing happen on another drive after it was formatted during the install of Freenas (sorry, swear word around here!). I ran the clean command and it resolved the issue. Im very confident that it will resolve for my other drive too. That one is a bit trickier to 'clean' since its a SATA.

• So ive hot plugged the drive, run a command to clean the MBR, and the drive works fine.

Then I go into OMV and format the drive and guess what - the same thing happens again. It trashes the MBR to the extent that it hangs my PC at boot.

Ive perceviered long enough with OMV, I'm going back to windows for my nas. OMV is just not commercially ready yet and more the point I don't have the confidence that it won't trash my data.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!