PLEX plugin: Database Volume selection issue

• Hi,
    I think similar issues were discussed earlier but had different flavor...

About my NAS configuration: Debian full installation then OMV on top, system and all apps are on SSD hard drive (128 GB). Then there is a RAID5 array (4 HDDs) which is intended to save media files only.

I installed PLEX server OMV plugin and wanted to configure it running database on SSD drive but path selection was only possible towards RAID. So I went for that option as there was no other choice available. Then 2 issues arised due to this:
    1) RAID never spins down, i.e. it looks like PLEX never sleeps and runs some background activities. I tried many things thru Plex configuration options but gave up when read about similar issues on Plex forums. Hard drives were kept at 41 C degrees, not least to mention power consumption and wearing issue for HDDs which may lead to shorter life time...
    2) While processing metadata, i.e. creating database and thumbnails, the whole process was blody slow as PLEX was reading files and writing metadata to the same hard drives/RAID.

Then after some time I decided to uninstall PMS plugin and went for Linux way of installing the package. All went well, database is located now on my SSD system drive and media files are separated so the RAID spins down when not used, their temperature is 28 C degrees and creating database is times faster and much more quite process.

What are the reasons not allowing PLEX database location on system drive :?:
    Shouldn't admin decide where to keep database on :?:

• Offizieller Beitrag

went for Linux way of installing the package.

The plugin installs using apt which is the Linux way of installing, is it not?

What are the reasons not allowing PLEX database location on system drive.

None of the plugins allow you to store data on the system drive. This way, if the system drive crashes, you don't lose any data. Also, a lot of systems use a small OS drive. Plex's database has been known to grow large which could fill the OS drive. When this happens, you can't login to the web interface.

If you really want the database on the ssd, shrink the OS partition and create another partition. This will show up in the web interface and allow you to select it in plex.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You guys are brilliant!

Zitat

ryecoaaron:
    The plugin installs using apt which is the Linux way of installing, is it not?

- Absolutely right! I meant manual method of course, i.e. not from OMV.

Zitat

ryecoaaron:
    If you really want the database on the ssd, shrink the OS partition and create another partition. This will show up in the web interface and allow you to select it in plex.

- Thanks for suggestion, I think I will go for it! Or will install another smaller SSD, have not decided yet. I really like performance while reading from RAID and writing to another drive. It is quite operation as well. I built my NAS for optimal performance so I really want to use its HW capabilities at max.

Zitat

tekkb:
    Did you disable send anonymous usage data to plex???? What version of plex???

- Yes, I did. I did not have any sync or pics uploading feature active yet, just one user. I was online though from Android device 24/7. Not sure if it matters. I did not stream anything at times I checked noise level from NAS, not sure if it matters. I wish I did not investigate PLEX log. I had PLEX server version 0.9.11.7.803-87d0708 thru OMV installation and have the same now after manual installation.
    I am using PLEX PASS. I saw PLEX and PLEX PASS server labels are identical, I guess there is no difference, right? I will DL and compare by content...

Now after 2 days using PLEX (non/plugin version of it), with my full Debian installation and repo, I do not really understand benefit having PLEX server plugin, except that there is good setup info tab and I may turn off/on server using button, i.e. not via CLI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now after 2 days using PLEX (non/plugin version of it), with my full Debian installation and repo, I do not really understand benefit having PLEX server plugin, except that there is good setup info tab and I may turn off/on server using button, i.e. not via CLI.

The idea of OMV and a lot of plugins is to eliminate the need to use the command line. I can setup everything on my server by command line but it is easier to do it via web interface/plugin. There are plenty of people who know nothing about the Linux command line and can't setup plex.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i have also a weird thing

i cannot select my boot hdd to put my database folder in
    its a 250 gig hdd so its big enough for it

if its possible can someone help me out (newb)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!