Build a "NAS" with AM1 ?

• Hi,
    I would like to build a "NAS" (with drive pooling instead of RAID, perhaps I'll change it on the future) and I've seen this configuration :
    - ASRock AM1B-ITX
    - AMD Sempron 3850
    - Kingston HyperX Fury BLACK Series 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Cas 10
    - CoolerMaster Elite 110
    - CoolerMaster G450M 80+
    - 3 Western Digital RED 3TB

I have several questions :
    - Is motherboard and CPU sufficients for OMV ?
    - Is it necessary to use 4GB or 2GB is OK ?
    - Is it better to use 1 or 2 DDR modules ?
    - What is the better device to install OMV ? A USB stick ? A SDCard ? A dedicated HDD/SSD ?

Thanks !

• Offizieller Beitrag

That motherboard and cpu is more than enough for OMV as long as you aren't transcoding or using a virtual machine.

2 GB is fine.

Doesn't really matter in this case.

DEFINITELY NOT a usb stick or SD card. Use a hard drive or ssd.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok thanks for informations.
    No I don't want to transcode or use VM, just use it as share center.

What is the minimal size for HDD/SSD to install OMV ? Is it possible to use a part of a HDD for OMV and other part for other ? Or is it possible to install OMV on a part of a HDD and backup this on others HDD ?

You have talked about VM : have you tried to install an ESXi and OMV as a VM ? Is there a huge difference with performance between both ?

Thanks !

• Offizieller Beitrag

None of my OMV systems use more than 3 GB for the OS partition. You can repartition or install Debian then OMV if you want to use the OS drive for data as well. Data just needs a separate partition from OS.

I run OMV as a VM on Proxmox at a school of 200+ users. Runs very well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

By design, the OS drive, is dedicated to the OS and services will not be able to access the OS drive. You can do some work to make it happen, but I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary... There's plenty of options for cheap, small drives (eBay is a good source for 2.5in SATA drives in the 80gig range that are great for an OS drive).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree with KM 100%. I just gave up on telling people not to use the OS drive for data.

• Another question : if I use OMV as a VM (with ESXi 5.5), is it possible to VMDK for system and VMDK for data on the same drive ? Or is it necessary to use a VMDK system on a dedicated drive also ?
    And is it possible to schedule config backup ?
    Thanks !

• No problem, I'll try to find a small HDD 2.5 to OS. Is it better to use a SSD instead of HDD or there is no improvement and it's useless ?

And is it possible to use a USB HDD for OS ? Or it's not a good idea ?

Thanks !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use 2.5" hard drives but lots of people use SSDs. The SSD might speed up the web interface a little bit.

Yes, you can use a USB hard drive for the OS. You may have to set a delay for the bios to find it on some systems though.

• If it helps at all, I pretty much have the same system as you OP.

I use the exact same motherboard and cpu, but different ram (2 sticks of 2gb each, because that's what I had lying around).

I have a 40gb hdd running the OS on it, which I partitioned prior to installing to 2x 20gb partitions, in case of need in future.

I then have one 4tb data drive, with all my data on it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you fill up a 4tb drive to that point... IMO, rather than looking at how to add a measly 20gigs from your OS drive, you need to look at upgrading your data drive.

• Zitat von KM0201

If you fill up a 4tb drive to that point... IMO, rather than looking at how to add a measly 20gigs from your OS drive, you need to look at upgrading your data drive.

I should have been more clear - I meant if I need that extra 20gig for another OS, or dual booting or something in the future. I probably won't.

I definitely didn't meant using it for data! :)

• Thanks for your help :)

I have a new idea but I don't know if it's possible : with the configuration describes (I can replace Sempron 3850 by Athlon 5350 if necessary and replace 4GB RAM by 8GB), is it possible to install an ESXi to a part of a dedicated HDD, use other part of this HDD as datastore (to store VM HDD) and create a VM for OMV and a VM for Windows 8.1 ?

Any advice would be welcome ;)

Thanks !

Edit : And is it possible to use USB 3.0 with OMV ? Could I transfer from external USB 3.0 HDD to HDD managed by OMV ?

Edit 2 : If I don't use ESXi, is it possible to install OMV on Ubuntu and use Ubuntu system with OMV like a classic PC ? Or system must be dedicated to OMV ?

• Ok thanks for Ubuntu ;)

So is it possible to manage file transfer from external HDD to OMV HDD directly with OMV (with USB 3.0 ?) ? Or is it necessary to transfer files with another system ?

• You can use the extplorer plugin for that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!