First NAS Build - Beginner

• Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to order components for my first NAS build. I have been researching on what type of NAS and OS would work best for me and have decided to go with OMV over Freenas. I am a complete beginner and OMV seems to be a perfect fit for me.

Looking for some feedback on this build (which meets my budget of around $700).

CPU - Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor
    Motherboard - Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory - A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Model AX3U1600W8G9-RR
    Case - Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
    Power Supply - EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Wired Adapter Card - Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter
    Harddrive- Two Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Hardrives I am undecided if I will bump these up to 4Tb and I might also purchase another 8BG of memory.

I plan on running OMV in JBOD.

Curious on what everyone things on this build...from my research it looks like each component plays nice with each other.

Thanks for all your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've read about a lot of QC issues on the 3tb WD Reds... it's an issue that doesn't seem to be present on the 2tb and the 4tb. The reviews on the 3tb on Newegg are pretty bad, but the 2tb and 4tb are pretty solid. I'd either move up to 4tb, or if that's not able to be done... move to Seagate or Hitachi.

• I too came from FreeNAS to OMV, can't say I regret it. I can't evaluate the inner workings much since I'm not tech savvy enough, but I do feel more at home in Linux and I find the WebUI and general feel of OMV pretty awesome.

I had 4 (!) brand new 3Tb WD Reds fail in a matter of weeks. It could have been bad shipping too though and not necessarily a manufacturer issue. I've returned them and while I was at it upgraded to 4Tb models. Prices per Gb are the same for the 3Tb and 4Tb models around here.

The Fractal Design case is pretty awesome, I have the same model. Good build quality and decent air flow. I would make sure you get a PSU with removable cables though. You should be fine right now with two drives, but once you get more it gets pretty cramped in there. I have 5 data drives and one OS drive (all 6 bays full) and a PSU that doesn't have removable cables and it took me some time to get things organised. Having the Hyper212 cooler doesn't help either (I had to mount the fan differently so I could hook everything up).

• KM0201 - noted think I will spend the extra money for 4Tb WD Reds.

Jobelz - is there a power supply you would recommend but still being cost effective for me?

Thanks for the help guys

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 - noted think I will spend the extra money for 4Tb WD Reds.

Jobelz - is there a power supply you would recommend but still being cost effective for me?

Thanks for the help guys

I do tend to agree w/ him, that a full modular PSU is the way to go with the Node 304.

I put a Silverstone SFX (450w) in my Node 304... I absolutely love it. Full Modular, Super quiet... It comes w/ a bracket so you can put it in a standard ATX PSU bay. One thing to keep in mind though, all of them now come with the "short cable kit".. It shouldn't be an issue for most ITX motherboards and this case however. You don't mention if you're in the US, so I'm not sure what kind of inventory you have access to... but on Newegg.com that PSU you mentioned is $58 dollars... The one below is full modular, and is $68... To me.. the full modular cable setup is worth the $10 bucks, and Seasonic is a pretty well known name in power supplies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/…aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

• Offizieller Beitrag

And what does everyone think about the SSD I picked?

The main thing with SSD's, is you want them to have trim support. I don't know if that drive does or not. I still prefer the "old reliable" platter drives for OS drives. Yeah, they are slower.. I prefer the reliability of a platter drive (especially with the amount of disk writing that OMV does). Usually, I just hop on ebay and find new laptop drives in the 80-160gig range, and call it done...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-W…rives&hash=item566d8119ed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ge…rives&hash=item19fa0a04dd

• Everything looks ok, but a 500W power supply is real overkill with this setup. With power supplies more is definitely not always better, since the efficiency of big power supplies drops drastically at low idle use.

Your system would likely be idling most of the time with a power usage of about 15W, while the peak power draw will be around 70W. Therefore I would go for a 300W power supply with a good efficiency rating, which will definitely be noticeable on your energy bill!

I bought a thin mini-ITX motherboard for my NAS setup, since they have an DC input for laptop power bricks which generally are rated up to 70 - 90 W and have a very high efficiency at low power demand.

Also I would go for a modular power supply in that case, since there isn't that much room for unused cables.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, you're contradicting yourself... try finding all those things (300w, Modular, Good efficiency rating) in a quality PSU? It's near impossible.

While he will lose a little efficiency by using a 500w.. I don't think it is near as drastic as you are implying.

• I've read about a lot of QC issues on the 3tb WD Reds... it's an issue that doesn't seem to be present on the 2tb and the 4tb. The reviews on the 3tb on Newegg are pretty bad, but the 2tb and 4tb are pretty solid. I'd either move up to 4tb, or if that's not able to be done... move to Seagate or Hitachi.

Actually the 4tb were the problematic ones when they started. It actually wonders me that the 3tb version started to bug so much lately.

wguttrid, the ssd is fine, I would definitly take it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually the 4tb were the problematic ones when they started. It actually wonders me that the 3tb version started to bug so much lately.

wguttrid, the ssd is fine, I would definitly take it.

Greetings
    David

Yeah, I think when I go to 4tb, I'll probably move to either Seagate or Hitachi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How does this 2.5" laptop drive look...

WD Blue WD3200LPVX 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/P…aspx?Item=N82E16822236499

Other than being ginormous (Keep in mind, the OS drive, is just for the OS.. which only needs abut 3-4gigs under most circumstances).. it's fine. if you plan to go the platter drive route, I'd try to find something a bit smaller, like I linked to earlier... unless you don't mind having about 315gigs of dead space. If David says the SSD is fine, I trust his judgement... I'm just not sold on their reliability yet (not that specific drive, SSD's as a whole)

• And others might not suggest to buy Seagate or Hitachi due to higher rma rates.

The SSD has trim, go for it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi Guys,

I am struggling between the 64gb SSD or 320gb 2.5"HDD....if for whatever reason I decide to install a different OS system then OMV would I be better to have the headroom of a 320gb drive?

Glad to know both of the options will work with my build and the prices are both similar in Canada. Decisions, decisions.....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would you install something other than OMV? Hard to answer that when we don't know what the other option is.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!