Q: TV Server - VDR vs TVheadend - what is "best" !?

• Hi

In the longrun I want to use my OMV box also as my tv server.
    My first choice would be Argus TV, but that is Windows only and Virtulabox does - as far as I know - not support PCIe passthrough with VT-d (I would have the HW to support that if I exchange my CPU). The other option would be via ESXi and the run OMV and windows as virtual machines - phew that sounds just complicated!

So that leaves me with two choices, VDR and TVheadend. I did use VDR on a Reelbox from 2009 but that was with a GUI on my TV.

So here are my questions to users already using the one or the other:

1)Are there major differences as far as features go between these two? (i.e. search timers)

2) Is unicable working on TVHeadend? - I found misc. info an that.

3) Which one is easier to configure maintain via OMV - i.e. editing channels lists, scans, EPG fetching

4) Do you have the TS and recordings folders on the raid volumes or do you have those on differen drives i.e separate 2,5" drives dedicated to TV usage?

thx for any help!

• 3) Which one is easier to configure maintain via OMV - i.e. editing channels lists, scans, EPG fetching

4) Do you have the TS and recordings folders on the raid volumes or do you have those on differen drives i.e separate 2,5" drives dedicated to TV usage?

thx for any help!

Hi,

never used VDR, so I cannot answer all your questions.

3.: TVHeadend isn't configured via OMV GUI, it has his own GUI.
    First Config of TVHeadend is much work but it runs very well!

4.: Timeshift goes in /tmp of my Systemdisk, because it is an SSD and fast. It's an 30GB SSD and I configured a max. filesize of 10GB for Timeshift so it can't overflow the Systemdisk.
    My recordings are going to my normal Datadisk. (I'm not using RAID yet).

greetz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!