Wake on LAN stopped working

• Hi there,

I installed a new network card (onboard NIC was too slow), enabled Wake on LAN in the Web-GUI and everything worked fine. System went down to S3 and woke on magic packet several times without any problems.

Now, after a day, I can't wake it up by a magic packet anymore. The only thing I changed in the meantime was to set the RTC to localtime and configure NTP likewise (which I reversed to troubleshoot).

I tested every BIOS-Option related to ACPI and WOL and restarted, suspended the system at least a hundred times. Didn't work... ?(

ethtool eth1 shows:

/etc/network/interfaces:

I already changed NETDOWN to "no" in /etc/init.d/halt. I disabled the onboard NIC as soon as I installed the new one.

Does anyone know a solution or a way to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!
    OhSiris

My System:
    MB: EPIA-M 10000
    NIC: RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC

EDIT: Solution is quite simple buy a Intel network card (see last post :)

• Thank you for your answer!

tcpdump showed incoming magic packets on the server.

But, compile your driver... Not as simple as it sounds :S

Just for the beginners out there, you need to install some stuff first to compile the driver:

Zitat

apt-get install build-essentials
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

I tried two drivers, the r8168 and the r8169 from the Realtek website.

But with the r8168 I could not bring eth1 up.

With the r8169 I ran into problems: The Realtek driver's Makefile is not configured properly. I had to edit the paths in the Makefile manually.
    Finally compiled the r8169 and installed it. Still no WOL. Though I am not sure, wether I really have installed the new version, I could not tell the difference in the output of "lsmod | grep r8169". How can I verify, that I use my compiled driver and not the on built in?

Furthermore I could not login to the webui. After entering username an password, the login site simply reloaded.
    After several attempts, I could finally log in.

Essentially I am back at square one. Any suggestions?

P.S.: Sorry for editing this post so often, it's 2am here in Germany.

• Just checked with modinfo, I use the new driver.

The MB is quite old, it got a Wake on PCI Card option in the BIOS and an optional WOL connector on the board. And as I said, I got WOL working with that NIC for a day without any problems just by enabling the Wake on PCI Card option, I just can't figure out why WOL's gone now.

The NIC is PCI.
    The old NIC is onboard, but I disabled it in the BIOS before adding the new NIC.

• Yeah, the rootfs was nearly full. That's also why I reinstalled with a little more space for the rootfs.

First thing I did was to activate WOL --> but it still didn't woke up.

I am not sure which backport kernel to use. I am running Wheezy with Kernel 3.2. How should I backport?

• WOL from S3 only is fine for me, the server will not be powered off completely anyway. I am testing WOL with STR the whole time without any success.

I just installed the backport kernel (linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-586) according to this thread (Backports 3.16 Kernel missing?).

WOL still not working. Got some warnings while installing the Kernel:

I didn't try the onboard NIC by now, will do that tomorrow. Taking a break now from this frustrating stuff.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's the firmware bundle for realtek firmware. Try apt-get install firmware-realtek. Is probably missing the backport one, so if the first one claims that is installed you can try then apt-get -t wheezy-backports install realtek-firmware

WOL from S3 only is fine for me, the server will not be powered off completely anyway. I am testing WOL with STR the whole time without any success.

S3 is STR (suspend to RAM or sleep, many names),

you meant hibernation or shutdown ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your card is working. I've already pointed you why is not gonna work with wol from shutdown.
    You told me wol works from STR. And that's normal according to your mb manual from pci nic. You need the cable conector to work from shutdown
    The nics that are usually fully supported are the Intel ones. But in this case that's gonna be the same.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!