slow transfer speed (tried what I read)

• hi there,

I have an OMV for some time now, very happy with it. Unfortunately my LAN transfer speeds are now horribly slow, copying of a few 100mb's takes hours to complete.
    The max speed I can get is 120kpbs-ish.

Tried installing the backports kernel, AFP is the same song.

Nothing is wrong with the disks:

Code
    root@NAS [sdc5-DL-backup-500gb] # dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=102400 count=1024
    1024+0 records gelezen
    1024+0 records geschreven
    104857600 bytes (105 MB) gekopieerd, 5,02022 s, 20,9 MB/s
    root@NAS [sdc5-DL-backup-500gb] # dd of=/dev/zero if=tempfile bs=12400 count=1024
    1024+0 records gelezen
    1024+0 records geschreven
    12697600 bytes (13 MB) gekopieerd, 0,0263773 s, 481 MB/s

Reading from a samba share looks quick - 600mb in 1 minute.

I tried to do this from my mac and from a win7 laptop - same slow upload speed on both.

PS: the server (OMV) beeps from tiem to time (pc speaker). what is that?

info on the system:

Code
    Linux NAS 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt2-1~bpo70+1 (2014-12-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you for your help.

HP Z800 Workstation running OMV.

also running Nextcloud for home home use, Motioneye for CCTV, Ampache for listening my music around the world

Dual CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz

• hi there, sorry for the useless info.

The harddisks are PATA and SATA - no raid.
    the system is a Amd64 3400+ on a MSI k8N Neo platinum

what gives us lspci:

Info about the nic

about the disks:

also running Nextcloud for home home use, Motioneye for CCTV, Ampache for listening my music around the world

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, your nic adapter is showing speed negotiation at fast ethernet, that's 10MB/s, so your switch is probably can't go gigabit. So that's how far youre gonna get. The problem is now you're getting 120KB/s if I read correct

For testing read speeds in drives you can use hdparm -tT /dev/sde1 for example. This can confirm if your drives can go past 10-12MB/s and from there extract files in samba client at that speed. Write speeds to drive are always slower, but not that dramatic to go at 120KB/s

Test iotop and top in OMV when you're trying to copy a file in samba, check if any process different from samba spikes up.

Also test FTP transfers to see if you get the same slow speed.

What else? your nic card is eth1 realtek, is there eth0 around maybe the nforce one? is it active? maybe try and disable it in BIOS
    I have an alive nforce4 platform with an opteron 148 (939), read/write speeds are like 40MB/s on sata2 drives. So don't get too much expectations.

NTFS-3G as a fuse mount is not very fast.

• hi thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I know it's not the speed-beast I got here, but it was a lot faster before (its now 2-3 days after one or other update it is slow). The nic and/or switch are fast ethernet (and not gigabit) but that is ok for me.

Yes eth1 is the only one 'alive' now, the eth0 is the nforce onboard one, but disabled in bios (since when I installed the system).

the hard-drive speeds look ok:

Code
    root@NAS [~] # hdparm -tT /dev/sde1

/dev/sde1:
    Timing cached reads: 598 MB in 2.00 seconds = 298.88 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 168 MB in 3.02 seconds = 55.67 MB/sec

when copying a file with samba there is no weird CPU usage, smdb is at 0.7%
    ftp transfer - looks like I have problem with permissions. willlook for that.

iotop gives me this:
     1667 be/4 root 0.00 B/s 283.79 K/s 0.00 % 0.00 % mount.ntfs /dev/sda5 /media/01CFFA686B0C8880 -o rw,_netdev

when writing to a share on a ext4-disk:
     8544 be/4 nobody 0.00 B/s 229.99 K/s 0.00 % 0.00 % smbd -D

• when writing to a share on a ext4-disk:
     8544 be/4 nobody 0.00 B/s 229.99 K/s 0.00 % 0.00 % smbd -D

I think your post crossed my edit :)

• Do you have the realtek firmware bundle? dpkg -l | grep realtek

yup is installed

Zitat

Also is there a problem in checking with the onboard nforce nic?

I can do that - but it is weird, to have to change the nic suddenly at a blue tuesday :) I'll try later, is a headless machine, so need to grab a screen and all... It will be for after my TV night with my wife :)

• ok I'll do that.

is this something that can cause my problems?

Code
    21869.331289] nr_pdflush_threads exported in /proc is scheduled for removal
    [21869.331630] sysctl: The scan_unevictable_pages sysctl/node-interface has been disabled for lack of a legitimate use case.  If you have one, please send an email to linux-mm@kvack.org.

• a scp copy from my mac to my OMV-nas is also slow (150-200-ish KB/s)

• Is this wired or wireless?

Do you have a windows client (wired of course)?

all is wired - I hate wireless :)

I have a windows 7 pc somewhere here. that samba-speed is also slow

• I changed the switch and the cable before - and as it is with samba, as well as scp I guess it is a NIC problem.
    First I'll try and change the nic to the nforce, if not I'll play with the official driver for the realtec.

• Nforce nic was not better, a 3com pci i had spare didnt do verry well.. But the screen helped me (it showed duplex errors)

so there is a port broken on my isp's switch/router/cablemodem

Now the speeds are 30-ish - ok for me!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!