Setting up OMV

• Hi there,
    after some tries + errors getting basic OMV 1.9 + omvextras 1.7 to run, it´s up and fitting my notion :)

Specs: 1x 120 GB System on SSD (20GB "root" + 4 GB swap ) rest undefined (raw)
    4x WD RED 3TB ext4 formated

I´ve been playing with some configurations for the datastorage:

- Raid 5 -- ok but i don´t like that the disks can´t spin down
    - snapraid solo -- no "nice" pooling function
    - snapraid + mhddfs -- a bit to slow
    - snapraid + aufs -- ok

So after reading this forum and do some investigation finding overlayfs. I think this would fit my concept.
    But overlayfs is until kernel 3.18 released at 7.12.2014 and in the changelog of this kernel "Removed aufs".

So what you think?
    Setting up snapraid + aufs and maybe getting problems when OMV get´s to stock-kernel 3.18 or port to 3.18 and setting up snapriad + overlayfs.

Some hints and tips would be great.

Sorry for my bad english it´s not my nativ language.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have been researching overlayfs for a while since aufs is due to be dropped. The kernel is the biggest issue right now. It might be easier to wait for OMV on Jessie unless Debian backports overlayfs to 3.16 kernel.

The nice thing is that aufs and overlayfs both run on top of the filesystem. So, you could use aufs until we have an overlayfs solution and then switch.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!