openmediavault-virtualbox Plugin

• I'm not sure how to ask this, but here goes... I know what Virtualbox is, and I have used it many times on both Linux and Windows, but I am unsure what this plugin does or is used for on OMV...? If it does what I am thinking then I might find it useful and install it, but I want to get a better understanding of it before I actually install it... It sounds like it will allow you to install and setup virtual machines on OMV that could be remotely booted and ran over the network... If that is the case then I would find that very useful...

• Virtualbox is a virtualization software package. It can be used on many platforms to create a virtual machine. Many servers today run hypervisors that allow many virtual machines to be run on a single server. It helps to save power.

For you it would allow you to install various operating systems to test. It is very helpful to have a virtual machine of OpenMediaVault. You can test changes to your virtualized machine before making the changes to your physical (bare metal) machine. It saves you from making many errors and lets you learn at a faster pace without the fear of messing up your machine.

• Well that would be a little tricky because you would need to install a vnc server/client. I use RealVNC for client software. The answer to your question is yes. But I would get a handle on using Virtualbox first. There is a learning curve involved there.

• Well like I said I have used Virtualbox many times on both my Windows Boxes and my Linux box... I have installed and tested various Linux distros on my Windows boxes via Virtualbox instead of doing a dual boot setup... and Vis-Versa.. I have installed Windows in a VM on my linux box to be able to run certain programs that could only be ran in Windows instead of dual booting both OS's... I thought that maybe I could install these VM's on a server that I could then access from any computer I have and run them over the network similar to accessing my various systems with something like Team Viewer or VNC... Or even maybe be able to boot a system to one of the VM's similar to PXE booting...

• If you have used it a lot it is the same. Windows vms you can access with RDP. With Linux operating systems you will need a vnc client and need to learn to setup a vnc server on the virtual machine. If you have use Virtualbox a lot before it should not take you that long. Ask questions here and people will help. I thought you were Vbox noob. :)

• Oh.. OK... So I could Setup and Install a Linux VM with the plugin.. Then install Team Viewer for Linux on that VM... and then I could connect to it with Team Viewer on any of my other machines... But I would not be able to actually boot a machine to that VM...

• Well with the last line I was thinking that I might be able to actually boot a Diskless system like maybe a thin client to a Virtual Machine installed on a server over the network... Kind of like TFTP/PXE booting an ISO image to do a remote install of an OS on a system...

EDITED to fix mistakes...

• Yeah I know... I have already setup the PXE Plugin and can now boot to several ISO images I have added such as Parted Magic, Windows 7 Recovery Disc, Acronis True Image bootable CD, Dban, SpinRite, PCLinuxOS live DVD, Linux Mint Live DVD...

But I thought maybe the VirtualBox plugin might actually allow me to boot in the same way to a full blown OS install instead of just a Live CD/DVD...

• It does like normal. In normal I mean from a virtual disk you created in Virtualbox. If you used Virtualbox before you should know this.

Normally you mount an install ISO for the full blow OS to the virtual CD-ROM and then install the OS. Then you can boot it.

• yeah.. I know how Virtualbox works and how to install and setup any OS as a Virtual Machine... I was just hoping that maybe I could setup several VM's on a headless server and then this plugin would allow me to take a thin client of some sort or any computer without an HDD... and actually boot up any one of those VM's over the network and use it, setup user accounts, update it, save files and have settings saved, etc between sessions, (Things you can't do with the typical Live CD/DVD, unless you use a Live USB with persistence), without doing the VNC or Team Viewer route...

• I was just hoping that maybe I could setup several VM's on a headless server and then this plugin would allow me to take a thin client of some sort or any computer without an HDD... and actually boot up any one of those VM's over the network and use it, setup user accounts, update it, save files and have settings saved, etc between sessions, (Things you can't do with the typical Live CD/DVD, unless you use a Live USB with persistence), without doing the VNC or Team Viewer route...

That sounds more like PXE booting to me! :huh: or is it just me?

Short for Pre-Boot Execution Environment. Pronounced pixie, PXE is one of the components of Intel's WfM specification. It allows a workstation to boot from a server on a network prior to booting the operating system on the local hard drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

What Is Network Booting (PXE) and How Can You Use It?
    http://www.howtogeek.com/57601…e-and-how-can-you-use-it/

• Yeah... I am already using PXE to boot a few Linux LiveCD/DVD distros... And that works great... but I would also like to boot a live system from a diskless thinclient type system... and have any changes that are made during each session be persistent between sessions... Just like creating a Live Ubuntu USB with a Persistence file... If I save bookmarks to my favorite websites in chrome.. I want them to still be there the next time I boot into the system... If I change the wallpaper during one session.. then I want it to be there on the next session... Download Updates, etc, etc... But with PXE booting a LiveCD those changes aren't saved between sessions... You start fresh each time with the default setup of the LiveCD/DVD... Bookmarks are lost.. Updates are lost... etc. etc... Unless there is a way to PXE boot something like a Live USB setup with a Persistence file...

• I will have to read up more on iscsi target... If it involves to much work to implement or setup I might just forget about my idea... The PXE setup was fairly easy once I figured out what I needed to place where and what needed to be included in the config file...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!