openmediavault-lvm2 1.2 - failed or I did?

• Hey guys,

To start off I didn't know if I should post this in Storage or Plugins so I posted it here in Plugins.. (move if need be)

I was testing out openmediavault-lvm2 1.2 on openmediavault_1.9_i386 (new install) in VmWare and I added 2x5GB drives and 1x10GB drive, made a SMB/CIFS share just to move files to the POOL but anyhow after simulating a drive failure by removing the 1x10GB drive from VmWare the OS never new it was removed even after going to Storage/physical disk > scan (still was there) after the scan I try to run a Wipe and it error out (Duh! its not there) then the OS removed it from the web GUI, now that it is not longer seeing the I have 1x20GB drive just chilling so I go to add it to the POOL LVM > Volume groups > (group1) > extend > (tick 20GB) > Error

&& if I try to reduce the Volume group I get nothing in the popup, if I go to logical volumes I can't even remove the logical volume its self , so ok there is an error and I don't know how to fix or what it mean/talking about but this is not what is bugging me the most. I was running this test to see if OMV will tell me when a disk has failed and/or just dropped out of the server =O LOL so I go look in the system logs on the web GUI and there is nothing to be found that a drive has fail or anything of that I could tell so I have added screen shots and a .zip file of the logs to my post.

I hope this may help or do something good come for them if not and its just something on my end that I did wrong or something I didn't do well then guess i'm in for someone telling me how to fix my eff up?! :)

Is this a bug?
    Is this my bad?
    What happen if this is a bug?
    What did I do wrong?
    Any other info need?

• LVM is not raid, you cannot pull drives and expect to keep working. Is like your chopping a hard drive.

I am under the impression you don't exactly know what is LVM is for.

Yes LVM is not a "RAID" however the data is put on all the drives in the Volume Group from the Logical Volumes that is made with in that Volume Group aka LIKE a RAID 1 there for disk can fail out or just be pulled and the data should still be there as long as there is free space on one or two drives left that can with hold the data in tell you put the same size drive or bigger drive back. like a storage pool?

Logical Volume Manager (LVM) manages disk drives and similar mass-storage devices.

*Features[edit]The LVM can:
    Resize volume groups online by absorbing new physical volumes (PV) or ejecting existing ones.
    Resize logical volumes (LV) online by concatenating extents onto them or truncating extents from them.
    Create read-only snapshots of logical volumes (LVM1).
    Create read-write snapshots of logical volumes (LVM2).
    Create RAID logical volumes (available in newer LVM implementations): RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, etc.
    Stripe whole or parts of logical volumes across multiple PVs, in a fashion similar to RAID 0.
    Configure a RAID 1 backend device (a PV) as write-mostly, resulting in reads being avoided to such devices unless necessary.

Allocate thin-provisioned logical volumes from a pool.
    Move online logical volumes between PVs.
    Split or merge volume groups in situ (as long as no logical volumes span the split). This can be useful when migrating whole logical volumes to or from offline storage.
    Create hybrid volumes by using the dm-cache target, which allows one or more fast storage devices, such as flash-based solid-state drives (SSDs), to act as a cache for one or more slower hard disk drives (HDDs).
    The LVM will also work in a shared-storage cluster (where disks holding the PVs are shared between multiple host computers), but requires an additional daemon to propagate state changes between cluster nodes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(Linux)

• Did you see the word raid in the lvm section of omv?
    Raid levels in lvm are part of RHLE implementation, not in debian
    I repeat you drives cannot be pulled off unless you resize your logical partition and empty the drive your aiming to remove.
    You can however run raid mdadm and on top put lvm.

Umm.. well sorry for the misunderstanding of how it works or what not, guess I am just miss reading how it works. :( thanks for the info tho :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!