OMV Minimum requirement?

• Hello,

I`m a Mac user and I`m not really secure with only one Time Capsule for my main backup hardware.
    I looking for a real NAS for backup and will convert the Time Capsule as a off-site remote disk.

I`m a newbie in NAS, and before buying any hardware, I ask for few questions
    I've not seen anything on openmediavault.org but did OMV has a minimum hardware requirement? ( I mean RAM for RAID management )

I plan to buy a HP Microserver with only 2Gb RAM, is it okay or not?
    In the first step, I will put 2x1Tb HDD in RAID1 and later another 1Tb as hotspare.
    Is it easy to add the hotspare on the already setup raid?

How to backup a NAS?

Thanks,

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV runs on an RPi at 700 MHz with 512 mb ram. Lots of people use HP Microservers in this forum. I have one myself. It will easily do what you want.

A daily rsync job would probably be better than a hot spare for RAID 1.

Do you want to backup data or the OS or everything?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your reply.

I would like to backup the data on the remote time capsule.

I think to put OMV on a USB stick, so I think a copy on another pendrive will bill ok, isn`t it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Aaron is right, is best to just have Rsync jobs to run from the array to a stand-alone drive. The microserver with 2GB will be just fine. Click the link in my signature, it will take you to a thread where we are currently discussing this very same server with OMV and how to boot it form the regular SATA port that is built-in.

When you set Time Machine, do put a restriction on how much data each Mac will use. That way, you force Time Machine to purge the oldest backups without filling up your hard drive with useless data. A good rule of thumb would be the size of the biggest drive (if you have more than one Mac) plus 10%. So if is 500GB, make it 550GB. You can always change that later on without loosing your backups, so feel free to experiment.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to backup the data on the remote time capsule.

I think to put OMV on a USB stick, so I think a copy on another pendrive will bill ok, isn`t it?

Absolutely NOT! This has been discussed MANY times. Install OMV on a regular HDD or SSD. Do not use any other type of flash media.

• I`m in trouble now,

OMV is not like FreeNAS?
    To boot from a Flash media and keep the bay disk entierely for the data...

I know that flash drive has not a great timelife, but it`s so easy to copy... I`m wrong?
    Or there other considerations?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is not like FreeNAS. You can simply attach a small SSD drive inside the machine and mount it with velcro, there's room to do that. Follow the thread I mentioned earlier and do some reading, you have to put a boot loader in a USB drive or in the MicroSD slot inside the server to boot from the internal SATA port.

• I want to say same type of work/ system/ stuff.

Everybody understand why I ask for minimum requirement now :D

Edit:
    I have also find a documentation call:
    SD boot: using Secure Digital
    (SD) card technology for
    booting HP ProLiant servers

The Microserver GEN8 is supported...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not exactly. There's a bay on the top, but is for the optical drive. You could use an adapter for 2.5" drives though if you want it to look pretty, or simply velcro the drive. Either way, it will work.

• OMV runs on an RPi at 700 MHz with 512 mb ram. Lots of people use HP Microservers in this forum. I have one myself. It will easily do what you want.

A daily rsync job would probably be better than a hot spare for RAID 1.

Do you want to backup data or the OS or everything?

The corrct sentence would be: "OMV runs on an RPi at 700 MHz with 256 mb ram."

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I`ve read the FAQ, and understand now it`s not a good idea to put OMV on a USB Stick.

But, now I must consider the extra cost of the 2.5 disk... The same cost as the 8 GB RAM option, wich is the minimum requirment for FreeNAS.

I was considering OMV better than FreeNAS only because OMV is Linux based, and support more type of material/ plateform.
    Can you explain, please if there are others considerations?
    What the case in OMV is better?
    What the case FReeNAS is better?

And finally, is OMV is over powered for my needs? And a little WD or Synology NAS will be more cost eficient...Or perhaps another TC.
    I was simply thinking a Gen8 and a 2x1Tb is the same cost as a TC....

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use a used 2.5" disk. I use old laptop drives.

OMV does support more hardware than FreeNAS. It is also faster and the web interface is organized in a much better fashion. OMV has more plugins as well.

I can't think of how FreeNAS is better. Maybe zfs is a little better on freebsd than linux.

OMV is not overpowered for your needs. You will be much happier with an HP Microserver than a cheap WD/synology NAS. It will last longer and is much faster.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• In my opinion there are 3 main reasons:

Linux Based (Debian Wheezy for latest version)
    Plugins (Lots of plugins and what would a NAS be without them?)
    Ease of use (While not easy for novice users I think most will find it easier to use the FN)

• Thank you to help me really understand what OMV exactly is.

I'm now think that the Microserver is not for me, it's a amazing machine with an attractive price, but too big for me.

I'm now considering make a self-made machine, with this case:
    http://www.minicase.net/product_E-Q6.html
    And a small Mini-itx motherboard base celeron.

Why this case, because I`will can put 2 hdd, one for OMV, and a second for the 1 TB time machine space...

There will be no redundancy, no rais... but, i will do an rsync with my actuall TC on-site.

I will be more cost effective, fewer power consumotion, and simply more appropriate for my initial need.
    What do you think?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you only want one hard drive, then get this NUC and put this ssd in it. Then you can plug in a usb hard drive. This unit is very small and quiet (I have one).

• Thanks for suggestion but the NUC don't sweet for me... two reasons:
    -i don't have the usb external drive, so i will must buy one
    -i live in the north of Brazil, a hot place, i think the Nuc will have cooling issues if running 7d/24h.( one more cons for the microserver)

it's why i'm looking for the case where two 2,5 hhd drives can be mounted. ( i must buy theses 2 drives anaway ).
    and last year, I had upgrade my Mac Mini 2011 ram, so I have 2x1gb sodimm memory stick for recycling.

if I can find a motherboard wich accept this memories sticks, with 2 ports sata and a low powered celeron, it will be a better option than a Nuc.
    the memory stick ara sodimm ddr3 pc10600, I don't know if it's low powered or not.

e case usually sweet for pfsense and industrial use, i think it will,don't have cooling issues.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!