What means this error? --> 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

• OMV 1.0

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What means this error? --> 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Hi all, I have the following, error:

Source Code

1. ​This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:
      2. host name: SERVER
      3. DNS domain: DOMAIN
      4. NIS domain: (none)
      5. The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
      6. Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1200JD-00_WD-WCAL93493801 [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors For details see host's SYSLOG. You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.The original email about this issue was sent at Mon Jan 19 10:09:13 2015 CST Another email message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.

I have a RAID5 with 4 HD 4TB each one, and I receive this mail every day, now I have 5 TB used, this is dangerous to lose information?

Thanks
      Lenovo Thinkcentre Tower M92p + HDD 120GB OS + 8 TB RAID5 (3x4TB HDD WD&Seagate)
      Debian Wheezy 7.8 64 bits + OMV 1.12 kralizec + 3.16 backport kernel

Radxa Rock + NAND 8 GB OS + 1 TB HD Western Digital
      Debian Wheezy 7 ARM 32 bits + OMV 1.12 kralizec
    • Hello,

What does your SMART interface says about it ?

I'm sorry I don't have this enabled at the moment...

And as it is said in the mail, check the syslog here :

Source Code

1. /var/log/syslog

Keep in touch
      - ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS) ==> maybe the only afordable motherboard with 6xSATAIII ports)
      - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz (overpowerful for NAS but the cheapest for this motherboard)
      - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
      - INTEL GIGABIT CT DESKTOP ADAPTER SINGLE PORT RJ45 PCIE (to avoid backports problems with network controller)
      - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
      - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s) (x4 for the DATA, 2 SATA ports left for future use)
      - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State (for the OS which allows 6 SATA HDDs)
      - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
      - RAID 5 xfs
      - OMV 1.12 (Kralizec) - 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

The post was edited 2 times, last by tiste ().

• Hi, the files are attached. Thanks
      Images
      • devices.png

39.88 kB, 899×306, viewed 582 times
      • settings.png

53.18 kB, 1,391×451, viewed 570 times
      Files
      • logs.zip

(2.32 kB, downloaded 117 times, last: )
      Lenovo Thinkcentre Tower M92p + HDD 120GB OS + 8 TB RAID5 (3x4TB HDD WD&Seagate)

• @Carlos05 do you think the command hdparm --write-sector <LBA> /dev/ice may be dangerous to lose data? I have 5 TB and I don´t have any another space to backup :S

• Sorry, bad copy-paste, it's not /etc/rsyslog.conf indeed but /var/log/syslog (I edited my previous comment).
      OK there's nothing obvious in your syslog...

Can you please select your /dev/sda and click above on Information then go to Self-Test Logs :

Do you have anything here ?

You can also test with this command :

Source Code

1. smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
      - ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS) ==> maybe the only afordable motherboard with 6xSATAIII ports)
      - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz (overpowerful for NAS but the cheapest for this motherboard)
      - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
      - INTEL GIGABIT CT DESKTOP ADAPTER SINGLE PORT RJ45 PCIE (to avoid backports problems with network controller)
      - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
      - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s) (x4 for the DATA, 2 SATA ports left for future use)
      - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State (for the OS which allows 6 SATA HDDs)
      - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
      - RAID 5 xfs
      - OMV 1.12 (Kralizec) - 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    • I dont have anything, may disc must be monitor? The log its attached, Thanks
      Files
      • syslog.zip

(1.24 kB, downloaded 119 times, last: )

• What means this error? --> 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

I somehow cannot read the attached logs on my mobile. So I don't know how many sectors are broken.

If you only have a couple of pending sectors and the number does not go up you are fine.
      If it stays at the current count you can be fine for years if it increases you will have to replace.

Next time the broken sector will be written it should be marked as"broken" if write fails and be reallocated to a spare one.

If u have a backup drive u could move everything and "zero" ur drive to achieve reallocation.

Most manufactures don't replace drives with a handful of broken sectors anyways.

Make a backup, keep an eye on it.

Edit:
      You should do a smart long test self test to see if other sectors pop up to be unreadable.
      Shirt test is not sufficient. Long test takes up to 12h

The post was edited 1 time, last by blublub ().

• blublub wrote:

I somehow cannot read the attached logs on my mobile. So I don't know how many sectors are broken.

If you only have a couple of pending sectors and the number does not go up you are fine.
      If it stays at the current count you can be fine for years if it increases you will have to replace.

Next time the broken sector will be written it should be marked as"broken" if write fails and be reallocated to a spare one.

If u have a backup drive u could move everything and "zero" ur drive to achieve reallocation.

Most manufactures don't replace drives with a handful of broken sectors anyways.

Make a backup, keep an eye on it.

Edit:
      You should do a smart long test self test to see if other sectors pop up to be unreadable.
      Shirt test is not sufficient. Long test takes up to 12h

Thank you, I will try to make a long test tonight if anyone has another suggestion I'll slope to the thread.

• @Carlos05 I start to monitor all disks and I received 2 notifications about it:

Source Code

1. ​The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST4000DM000-1F2_Z3007ML0 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Source Code

1. The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST4000DM000-1F2_Z3007ML0 [SAT], 8 Offline uncorrectable sectors

This its about one disk of 3 in RAID5, the older disk because another 2 are new.

Source Code

1. ​The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1200JD-00_WD-WCAL93493801 [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

The last one is the O.S. OMV disk :/

• Drives have spare sectors to replace bad ones. Is an automatic process.

Currently unreadeable means waiting for a replacement,

Offline uncorrectable means, is as the error read....uncorrectable. That means probably you wasted all your spare sectors.

Look at value 5. reallocated sectors, you probaby have a number there. This is the time to break the pig and said goodbye to your drive. The number is gonna keep increasing
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server
    • blublub wrote:

Hi

subzero is correct if the number is high your drive is toast and/or if the umber keeps increasing or u have uncorrectable sectors.

However I doubt that there only 8 additional sectors to compensate for broken ones.

Can u post the complete SMART data for the drive in question?

I forget do the long test yesterday, I started now butmay take 12 h. When its done I upload. I have the doubt if these 8 sectors uncorrectable its very dangerous to worry?

I have 3 x 4TB disks in RAID5, and 1 of these have the 8 sectors uncorrectable, if this disk brokes all the RAID5 will be unusable? Now I dont have budget to buy a 4 TB disk.

The O.S. disk its a all 120 GB disk, the smallest they had but quite old, this have 1 sector uncorrectable, should replace it? What would be the best way to make a backup to keep all settings OMV?

Thank you very much for support @blublub @subzero79 @Carlos05
      Images
      • Sin título.png

66.11 kB, 1,207×437, viewed 649 times