[Suggestion] New Base Distro

• I'd to suggest some big chages... First of all, lets made clear that i do like your project, great work.

I suggest change the base distro or even make the project avaliable to other distro like Arch Linux.

Why? Simple... Debian Repos sucks... I respect everyone needs, but this such thing as "stable" not works how it should be...

Debian has a lot of broken things that no one care about...

I really like this project, i had donated and everything but as soon as i get some extra time i'm going to remove debian from my life.

thanks

• Examples?

Mine works....but I like Ubuntu a lot more since there are more Multimedia repos.

Very, very old packages...

Some packages seems that never gonna be updated on the repos...

version upgrade, never work how it should...

Remove package that have a lot of dependencies have great chance to broke the system...

Permissions on debian sucks...

• You do that and I bet you don't have as much extra time.... :P

With debian i never gonna have extra time,

"Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld failed!" - Since the installation, the MySQL plugin never worked 100%, service always fails when i try to restart or stop...

Transmission daemon crashes at least 2 times a day..,

When a reboot, sometimes owncloud lost shared links...

And many others problens that i've already solved...

• Just out of curiosity, does it state why the Transmission daemon crashes? I've rarely had it crash.

I think that having OpenMediaVault on Arch Linux would be nice, but it would probably mean a lot of work to since it's a moving target. With Debian you know that configuration more or less should work the same for the whole time on that Debian version.

There's also one thing I think Debian provides that makes it a lot easier to work with and that is its default configurations. It's in most cases set up with sane defaults and it's easy to extend since they've in most cases added a service.d folder for each service. In Arch you have to do most things from scratch so there's sadly no way to just write configuration files in the same way on both systems. Otherwise it would have been a lot easier to support both. But problems are meant to be solved :)

• Just out of curiosity, does it state why the Transmission daemon crashes? I've rarely had it crash.

I think that having OpenMediaVault on Arch Linux would be nice, but it would probably mean a lot of work to since it's a moving target. With Debian you know that configuration more or less should work the same for the whole time on that Debian version.

There's also one thing I think Debian provides that makes it a lot easier to work with and that is its default configurations. It's in most cases set up with sane defaults and it's easy to extend since they've in most cases added a service.d folder for each service. In Arch you have to do most things from scratch so there's sadly no way to just write configuration files in the same way on both systems. Otherwise it would have been a lot easier to support both. But problems are meant to be solved :)

If not Arch Linux, at least Linux Mint would be lot better...

• If not Arch Linux, at least Linux Mint would be lot better...

In which ways would it be better? Linux Mint doesn't provide anything extra more than Cinnamon (especially if you run LMDE).

Anyway, I'm curious to learn more about the things you mention.

Remove package that have a lot of dependencies have great chance to broke the system...

This happens on Arch too if you're not alert and read what packages will be removed. If it happens during plugin uninstallation from the web interface it's an issue though.

Permissions on debian sucks...

How do they suck? They wouldn't really differ just because it's Arch?

"Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld failed!" - Since the installation, the MySQL plugin never worked 100%, service always fails when i try to restart or stop...

This is probably our fault within the plugin. It's hard to narrow down all the issues, but most issues seems to stem from (from my experience) package updates or moving the database location.

The issue you mention I guess is because the debian-sys-maint can't access MySQL anymore. Take a look at this and follow the Fix the debian sys maint password instructions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I personally think Volker would absolutely crazy to move OMV to Arch. While in the past, I did kinda wish OMV was based on Ubuntu Server (I think at the very least, it probably would have given us a higher user base)... That said though, with the large amount of plugins, etc.. I've found OMV had pretty much everything I wanted since .3. Why do you think Mint would be better?

I don't use MYSQL, so I can't help you there.

Transmission... I don't use a whole lot, but I've never had an issue w/ it crashing.

• The only real alternative would be ubuntu (server):

1 also *.deb packages
    2 "more" users
    3 When I remember correctly they have a lot in common so probably not so much to do on development side!?

But I would be very afraid of doing an "update" from OMV-Debian to OMV-X .....I get nightmares what could go wrong...

EDIT:
    I am not saying that a change is needed. This post was only "if"

• If someone actually could come up with a real reason to switch to Ubuntu more than more users that would be great. Debian is more sane in my opinion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Before I used Debian, I used Ubuntu server and Gentoo. I have never really had a problem with any ot them. Newer packages were nice sometimes but other times, they weren't stable. Jessie should help with a lot of the multimedia packages. My biggest reason to not use Ubuntu is people adding PPAs. Arch and Gentoo are too much of a moving target for OMV and most of its user base. If you really need bleeding edge, you can always use a VM or docker. Switching to any other distro (even to Ubuntu) would be a nightmare.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I would be very afraid of doing an "update" from OMV-Debian to OMV-X .....I get nightmares what could go wrong...

Well, you wouldn't have to be afraid of that, You can't upgrade one distro to another.. This would require clean installs by everyone in the event Volker decided to do something this radical.

Before I used Debian, I used Ubuntu server and Gentoo. I have never really had a problem with any ot them. Newer packages were nice sometimes but other times, they weren't stable. Jessie should help with a lot of the multimedia packages. My biggest reason to not use Ubuntu is people adding PPAs. Arch and Gentoo are too much of a moving target for OMV and most of its user base. If you really need bleeding edge, you can always use a VM or docker. Switching to any other distro (even to Ubuntu) would be a nightmare.

I tend to agree w/ the PPA's.. but lets be realistic, how many times has someone here added an Ubuntu repo to their system? This will happen no matter what. Look at how many Ubuntu Server users use webmin? To me, especially if they are a home user... those are all potential OMV users... and it would be a simple matter of installing it on their home server to test it out..

VM's, to me, are not a solution for a low powered NAS.. (not really that familiar with docker.. never messed with it).... I do agree though... switching would be absurd at this point unless Volker was intending a complete rewrite of the software. I see zero reason to switch now... my reasons in the past were simply my familiarity with Ubuntu...

• I think Volker has a life and thoughts of any changes are just a pipe dream.... :)

I prefer Fedora from a security standpoint. It is much more mature with SELINUX and has a lot of Booleans. I like package management a lot better with YUM too. There is no control file in your way if you want to install say a FTP server that is not in the core of OMV. I hate the Debian control file but it is probably good idea for neophytes. Fedora is more cutting edge too. I like it because it is not bloated with all kinds of crap. You start kind of minimal and build up what you want.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!