How to use the rest of HDD Space?

• As i mentioned in Drive for OS (not for data) , i created an additional data-partition on my system-SSD, and mounted it in WebGUI.

After creating a new share on that partition i created a directory, chown'ed it to r/w/e for vbox and vboxusers, and moved the VHDs of two VMs to that location. In the origin directories i created symbolic links pointing to the VHDs on SSD. It works without issues, and signicantly boosts the VMs performance.

The partition changes on the SSD (shrinking the root-partition to 8 GiB, recreating the extended partition and the swap-partition in it, creating a primary ext4-partition) were made with partedmagic (last free version), that i booted from USB-pendrive on my N54L.

BR
    Jan

• I want to do the same and use more of my OS installed drive with a separate partition to store data on. I have a 120GB SSD

I have tried some of the solutions online such as deleting the partition with fdisk re-adding it as the size i want it to be but then couldn't boot so reinstalled.

I've tried booting into gparted live cd but for some reason the 120gb SSD shows it as xfs filesytem. But when i SSH to PMV it shows me the swap, extended partitions.

Am i doing something wrong or whats the best way to set my OS to install to say a 20GB partition on the SSD and then use the rest as storage.

I'm somewhat of a newbie to linux so be patient :)

Also i'm using OMV 3.

• OMV install, will not allow you to custom partition the OS disk.
    one option is to setup Debian first and than install OMV from there. Debian installer let you do custom partitioning and all and OMV will honor it if installed from within the OS.
    other option is to setup the OMV and image it with Clonzilla or similar software,
    than boot from Clonzilla, or whatever you used for imaging, LiveCD and partition the OS drive and restore the image onto proper partition(s).

you can also try booting from LiveCD of other Linux OS and using gparted to shrink the OMV partition.
    than adding partition to the empty space.
    this should be ok since you will not change uuid or anything this way I think.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• you can also try booting from LiveCD of other Linux OS and using gparted to shrink the OMV partition.
    than adding partition to the empty space.
    this should be ok since you will not change uuid or anything this way I think.

I did it with Gparted and this is working without any issues. First you have to reduce the size of the OMV partition. It takes some minutes. Then you can use the free space for a new partition and format it with EXT4.
    At last you have to mount it in OMV.

But nevertheless it is not recommended to use it for data storage. I use it to have a free storage space available for testing purposes, in the case of having my ZFS pool exported. And for some user defined scripts which I didn´t want to store on the OS disk.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I did it with Gparted and this is working without any issues. First you have to reduce the size of the OMV partition. It takes some minutes. Then you can use the free space for a new partition and format it with EXT4.At last you have to mount it in OMV.

I do it to test on OMV3.x and works fine without issues, and test on a OMV 2.x and works, but Debian show an error, because GPARTED use a feature not supporte by OMV2.x O.S. as I say,OMV2 boot and works but be aware to use the really last Gparted, for OMV3 is good , but for OMV2 can be a problem.

• I do it to test on OMV3.x and works fine without issues, and test on a OMV 2.x and works, but Debian show an error, because GPARTED use a feature not supporte by OMV2.x O.S. as I say,OMV2 boot and works but be aware to use the really last Gparted, for OMV3 is good , but for OMV2 can be a problem.

I had tried this with Gparted but like i said it shows up as an xfs filesystem which doesn't let me make any changes to it in gparted. I might try installing debian then OMV on top of it to get around it. I mainly wanted to use it to store database etc of some of the plugins i'm running rather than using my RAID partition for this as i have 90gb sitting there unused on an SSD.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!