HDD's always Spinning down after 1 second instead of 30 minutes

• Hi folks,

I'm new to this Forum and a noob with OMV. I'm very happy with the operating system, coming from a Qnap TS-110.
    Nearly everything is working fine (Shares, TimeMachine Backup..).

My NAS:
    Asrock q2900-itx (latest UEFI)
    2 x Samsung Spinpoint hd204ui
    1 x WD Red 3 TB ( 2 will follow.. after that -> SW Raid 5)

I'm trying to configure the HDD Spindown setting. My target is Spindown after 30 Minutes...
    My settings:
    APM: 127
    AAM: -
    Spindown time: 30 minutes

After the setting is confirmed all the HDD's going into Spindown mode...but immediately!
    On Access -> HDD Spins up -> after that Spindown directly...
    The time setting is completely ignored. It doesn't matter which HDD.
    I have tested also APM: 128 - but its the same, I can hear the heads parking immediately.

Any idea's? Why is it not working? (You can answer in German as well)

thanks in advance,
    Patrick

*edit* Changed title

• There are all sorts of things in OMV that may be preventing spindown, AFAIK. I've been looking into this a lot lately.

- SMART monitoring
    - System monitors (specifically, the disk usage graphs in System Information --> Status --> Disk Usage)
    - Any services/plugins (bittorrent, greyhole, samba, rsync, OwnCloud etc. etc. etc.) that might be accessing the drives constantly or periodically

To track all of these things down so that we can get our drives to spin down would result in many features of OMV (and many plugins) being disabled.

See here, for one person's suggestions on spindown, for example: http://info4admins.com/tips-to…disk-in-debian-or-ubuntu/

After considering all of this, I find it quite ironic that the spindown option is even offered through the OMV interface. The chances of it working are next to nil.

• Hi,

thanks for your answers.

Some drives will not spindown. Some just go to lower rpms. You should look further into the drives you are using.

The Drives are all doing the Spindown, but with OMV all the time. On Windows and previously installed in a QNap they all do their Spindown set to 30 minutes, sometimes they have woken up by a job (smart or twonkey).

Getting into the Spindown is not my Problem, the drives are doing this while in idle for 1 sec. -> Spindown. I have adjusted all jobs to a period of at least 12 hours, not more than twice a day.
    Thanks for the link i will check the configuration of OMV with ssh.

But if the firmware does not allow checking the other thing could be waste of time. I'm pretty sure the red drives are meant to be running 24/7.

Yes, the RED Drives are 24/7, but my System was planed to consume less than 20 Watts in idle. That's not possible with Spinning HDD's.
    The Plan was to Spindown HDDs after 30 minutes of idle and then Power down the hole System after 2 hours. That matches perfect with my habits.
    This configuration has worked in an old Qnap for 3 years. But not in OMV.
    On Windows and OSX the drives are Waiting 30 minutes...then Spindown. On OMV not even one second! Im getting 10-20 Spindows in 10 minutes!! But the Setting is 30 Minutes.
    Does OMV use hdparm? I just want to change the Spindown times from 0 to 30 minutes.

Thanks

• WD RED drive do spin down! I had them and they did.

Yes, they do.. and again that's not my problem! My Problem is the time! They are Spining down directly (and every other model of HDD's too)! But I want it set to 30 minutes and that doesn't work.

• Yes, they do.. and again that's not my problem! My Problem is the time! They are Spining down directly (and every other model of HDD's too)! But I want it set to 30 minutes and that doesn't work.

Perhaps try abandoning the webGUI and using hdparm and/or smartctl at the command-line to do testing.

• Thanks all,

I have tested the the drives. With hdparm everything works fine. The only Setting that is working for all of my drives (Samsung and WD)

APM: 255-Disabled
    AAM: Disabled
    Spindown time: 30 minutes

Than the Samsung going into sleep after 30 minutes and the WD after around 25 minutes (a little bit earlier).
    Also Plex was preventing one of the Samsungs going into Spindown mode. But that was easy to find out.
    Now I want to shrink the SSD (120GB) OMV partition and set the plex Library to the SSD. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!