Would you recommend OMV for video editing?

• Hello guys,

One of my friends does not have enough space to store all his videos.
    He is doing video editing (films, documentaries etc...) on his Mac and want more space because he is now editing in 4K (about 20To !!) ...

My question is, according to you, would OMV be a good thing to store data like this?

I was saying to him that I can build for him a NAS which he can access from all over his place (his big TV screen to see his movies, his office where he works at his videos etc...)
    But I was wondering one or two things :
    - even with 1gb/s network card, would it be a good idea to edit videos directly on LAN?
    - how will react his video editing software with network stored data?
    - will the CPU ressources of his MAC used for editing go down because of the network ?
    - speaking of performance, is it better to run the editing on the MAC or on the NAS (with obliged network restrictions...) ?

and for the most :
    - is it better for him a big usb3 or firewire external device than a network storage area ???

See you.

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
    - Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
    - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
    - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s)
    - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State
    - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tiste ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do remember once reading a report on a video editing firm they moved to Freenas and their experience. Their network scratch disks for 4K where with 10GBE lines. For example external 4k scratch disk have to be thunderbolt now from what i've seen. Firewire or usb3 is not enough.

But i think for SD or HD editing a gigabit or dual bonded giagabit should be enough. Also bear in mind that the disks need to achieve this write speed (200MB/S for dual bond). So either you use raid10 or SSD disks on the network volumes.

• HI,

I finally chose for him (according to his basic needs) a simple Lian-Li Raid box with 5x4To WD Red disks.
    It will be connected as a USB3 storage device to his Mac and will serve as a storage data unit.

At the end, no need to do anything with the network, so no NAS.

Thx for the reply by the way.

Cheers

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
    - Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
    - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
    - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s)
    - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State
    - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!