[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• My use of the ZFS plugin is for home use and I haven't noticed any instability so far. Having said that, I used the plugin initially and also use the terminal a lot. I like a GUI but also frequent the command line. You could use Webmin to create cron jobs if you prefer a GUI and smile sweetly at the devs to add this feature in the plugin ;)

More on cron jobs with Webmin here: http://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/Scheduled_Cron_Jobs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just out of curiosity, why is the webmin cron job setup (which I have used) easier than the OMV scheduled tasks?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Easier? I couldn't say (having not used both). Nine times out of ten it's what you're used to. Whenever I've used a GUI for cron jobs I've always used Webmin. I didn't mean to insinuate that Webmin was an easier option, just 'an option'.

• And webmin is no gui? :P

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi,

I am trying to install ZFS on a new install. Ive downloaded the latest from the site and installed it and all of the updates (my version goes from 1.9 to 1.16 during the update process??) Ive then installed OMV-extras and when ever I try to tick the ZFS and ZFS testing options and click 'save' the boxes uncheck themselves and nothing is installed. Ive also tried downloading the latest openmediavault-zfs.deb file but when I try to install that it tells me it requries debian-zfs which is not avaliable. Any ideas what Im doing wrong? Im sure that is what I did a couple of months ago.

OMV 1.16 – ASUS ITX - G2020 2.9ghz - 8GB RAM - 40GB boot - 3x2tb in raid 5

• Offizieller Beitrag

You must be using a 32 bit install of OMV. You want the amd64 version of OMV.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Nope. Its definately the 64 bit version, ive even tried an older version I had on file and its the same outcome, must be a fault with the repos somewhere.

OMV 1.16 – ASUS ITX - G2020 2.9ghz - 8GB RAM - 40GB boot - 3x2tb in raid 5

• Offizieller Beitrag

I must have introduced a bug in the latest version with arch detection. I will fix it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fixed in omv-extras 1.16 in repo now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would've been faster but github was having issues :D

• There is another problem with the ZFS on 1.16 extra after installing the pluging (thanks for the bug fix):

When I clicked ZFS on left column, I get a prompt about "Failed to load ZFS module stack.Load the module manually by running 'insmod /zfs.ko'" (not exact wording, because I fixed the problem later so I couldn't get back original message :P )

Running "find / -name zfs.ko" returns nothing, trying to make ZFS myself under /usr/src/zfs-0.6.3 and I was warned that "This will break ZFS", ok....

Trying to re-install zfs-dkms, I get the below error:

OK.....I checked that "spl-dkms" is also installed, weird.....

Then I looked around on internet, I found something insteresting: Some people realized that spl-dkms has to be configured before zfs-dkms, so I tried following:

Looks promosing, to verify.....

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# find / -name zfs.ko
    /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.6.3/3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/x86_64/module/zfs.ko
    /lib/modules/3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/updates/dkms/zfs.ko

Bravo! Now I won't get any error when clicking into ZFS in GUI.
    Will this be addressed in the installer?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is an issue that only happens on select systems. Because we don't create the zfs packages, it is difficult to fix for every system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't been able to reproduce it so I really don't know.

• Great work.

After using Freenas (had problems with some plugins), Openmediavault and Xpenology i have reinstalled openmediavault.
    Due to a power outage my system chrashed under Xpenology.
    One drive stopped working and Xpenology didn't boot anymore.
    Tried to restore the SHR partition within Linux but
    Had problems repairing the SHR partition and also my backup drive was corrupted.
    So a lot of data loss. :(

Due to the broken drive i am now using 3x 2TB drives.
    and 1 system drive with a backup partition for important files.
    I have formatted it to Raid 5 but prefer Raid-Z1.
    Is it wise and save to use, and will there be still support in the future?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't heard of any problems with the zfs plugin lately.

• @thespeed I know that you're a drive down because of the issues you've had with Xpenology, but just some friendly input to stop you suffering further data loss -

If you can, if/when you move to ZFS, choose RAIDZ2 as a minimum or just mirror the drives - this will of course mean a 50% space loss if mirrored, or indeed the same with 4 drives in a RAIDZ2 (and does rely on replacing the drive). However, RAIDZ1 only allows for 1 drive to fail for the array to still function. Whilst this might seem like it isn't an issue because you'd just shut the array down and replace the drive, it is not unheard of for the resilvering than takes place afterwards to kill a second drive (or even a third).

This is obviously dependent on drive age and health, but being that you have suffered data loss already, unless you are backing up everything in the RAID on to another disk in its entirety, you need to be prepared that you may suffer more loss.

Most of us who have used RAIDZ1 have learnt this the hard way and its a horrible horrible feeling.

Also, you may want to take the time now to give your drives a full check over using SMART and a drive utility.

Just my opinions. :)

Sorry one last thing, even using RAIDZ2 or 3 is not fool proof. Backups are the key ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!