[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Hi,

what do you think about lz4 compression? Is it applicable to compress 1080p movies?

What about the performance while streaming?

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• I've been running with lz4...always, for years. I think that unless your server is a potato, you should be fine performance wise. In terms of compression ratio...I doubt you'll see much if the only thing on your filesystem is compressed video.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By Volume do you mean "dataset"? What do you mean by Filesystem then? Is that "dataset"... Confusing.
    Also why do you need to specify size for volume... this shouldn't be required in zfs.

Volumes in zfs are virtual block devices, like when you create loop device. YOu have to specify a size, same as when you create a loop device.
    Filesystems are just paths with in the pool but they have properties, can be "snapshoted" and probably can't transverse in between each other, someone might confirm this. For example winscp should not let you move a file in between two filesystems, same as happens in traditional linux fs

• I've been running with lz4...always, for years. I think that unless your server is a potato, you should be fine performance wise. In terms of compression ratio...I doubt you'll see much if the only thing on your filesystem is compressed video.

I have an actual Xeon-CPU.

What about streaming music or 1080p-movies from your zfs-filesystem? Do you recognize that the files must be decompressed before playback.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ok, perfekt. Thanks for the information. omv isn't doing it by default, so I manually have to configure it per command line.

I read about transparent compression and the great performance of lz4, but the informations in the web about compression in combination with streaming are rare.

• Ok, how can I adjust the ratio?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't. zfs tries to compress everything. video and music really aren't compressible anymore than they currently are. The resulting size difference determines what ratio you are achieving.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• what do you think about lz4 compression? Is it applicable to compress 1080p movies?

You want to save some space? Get yourself a decent HEVC capable player and reencode your 1080p files from h.264 to h.265.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ok, so I don't need to activate the compression. 99% of my data is music and videos.

Offtopic: Which h.264/h.265-encoder can you recommend?

Thanks for all your answers. This really helps in setting up my first zfs.

• Which h.264

x264

h.265-encoder can you recommend?

x265 - http://x265.org/ - You can use handbrake to convert files.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• x265 - x265.org/ - You can use handbrake to convert files.

Ok, thanks, I will check it. Never used handbrake before, but heard about it.

For your information, maybe it's the wrong place to report bugs for beta software. While playing around with creating pools, I recognized that creating pools "by-id" doesn't work with the omv-webui. I had to create the pool with the command line, to get that to work. I am on omv 3.0.13, omvextrasorg 3.0.11 and use the stable "zfs" repository. Yeah, I know it's beta. I only want to inform you. Maybe it works as expected with the "zfs testing" repository.

Greetings Hoppel

• Hey guys,

made some performance checks with lz4. Here are the results:

I have got two empty filesystems. One (/mediatank/videosc) with lz4 compression enabled and one (/mediatank/videos) without compression.

Code
    root@mediatank:/# zfs get compression mediatank/videosc
    NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
    mediatank/videosc compression lz4 local

root@mediatank:/# zfs get compression mediatank/videos
    NAME              PROPERTY     VALUE     SOURCE
    mediatank/videos  compression  off       default

First I built data with dd in the compressed filesystem:

Code
    root@mediatank:/# dd if=/dev/zero of=disk1.img bs=1024000k count=10
    10+0 Datensätze ein
    10+0 Datensätze aus
    10485760000 Bytes (10 GB) kopiert, 3,43668 s, 3,1 GB/s

Now I do the same in the uncompressed filesystem:

Code
    root@mediatank:/# dd if=/dev/zero of=disk1.img bs=1024000k count=10
    10+0 Datensätze ein
    10+0 Datensätze aus
    10485760000 Bytes (10 GB) kopiert, 8,06394 s, 1,3 GB/s

Building the data in the compressed filesystem is round about 5sec faster. =O

Now I want to have a look at the size:

Code
    root@mediatank:/# df -h /mediatank/videosc/
    Dateisystem                    Größe          Benutzt          Verf.         Verw%          Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videosc              20T              256K           20T                  1%          /mediatank/videosc

root@mediatank:/# df -h /mediatank/videos/
    Dateisystem                    Größe          Benutzt          Verf.          Verw%          Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videos               20T                 9,8G             20T               1%          /mediatank/videos

Code
    root@mediatank:/# df -k /mediatank/videosc/
    Dateisystem                    1K-Blöcke          Benutzt         Verfügbar         Verw%           Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videosc     21435487232               256    21435486976              1%           /mediatank/videosc

root@mediatank:/# df -k /mediatank/videos/
    Dateisystem                    1K-Blöcke          Benutzt           Verfügbar          Verw%          Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videos      21445735552       10248576   21435486976                   1%          /mediatank/videos

The compression for this kind of data is really impressive. The size is nearly zero. 8o

Now, I want to copy the same 1080p-movie (h.264) to both filesystems to compare the results:

Code
    root@mediatank:/# df -h /mediatank/videosc/
    Dateisystem                    Größe          Benutzt          Verf.          Verw%          Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videosc               20T               30G           20T                   1%          /mediatank/videosc

root@mediatank:/# df -h /mediatank/videos/
    Dateisystem                         Größe          Benutzt          Verf.           Verw%         Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videos                 20T                   31G          20T                 1%         /mediatank/videos

Code
    root@mediatank:/# df -k /mediatank/videosc/
    Dateisystem                      1K-Blöcke          Benutzt           Verfügbar          Verw%           Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videosc       21414228736       30552704      21383676032              1%           /mediatank/videosc

root@mediatank:/# df -k /mediatank/videos/
    Dateisystem                            1K-Blöcke          Benutzt           Verfügbar          Verw%           Eingehängt auf
    mediatank/videos        21415182976        31506944     21383676032                  1%           /mediatank/videos

So, the compression decreases the file size nearly 1GB : 21415182976 - 21414228736 = 954240 That isn't half bad.

A look at "top -u htpc" (htpc is my htpc-user) shows me a cpu usage by raound about 1% in both cases, streaming the compressed or streaming the uncompressed video over a samba share. So for the cpu it is not a problem.

My compressionratio is also by about 1 %.

Code
    root@mediatank:/# zfs get all mediatank/videosc | grep compressratio
    mediatank/videosc  compressratio         1.02x                 -

So, at the moment, for me it is an option to compress all my data with lz4.

Can you recommend some other checks I can do, before copying my whole library to the zfs filesystem?

Thanks and regards Hoppel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Building the data in the compressed filesystem is round about 5sec faster.

Try with bigger, real, data. Not just a bunch of zeroes.

The compression for this kind of data is really impressive. The size is nearly zero.

Yeah. You just wrote a bunch of zeroes. Text and Numbers can achieve a really high amount of compression, unlike media files.

Greetings
    David

• Can you tell me a method to measure the throughput while copying files? With "cp" it is seemingly not possible.

Regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!