[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Hello,

checked the improvements.

1. importing by-id as a default works fine now:

1a. with omv3.0.13 and the openmediavault-zfs 3.0.1 plugin "zpool status" looks as follows after pressing the button "import" in the webui:

1b. with omv3.0.40 and the openmediavault-zfs 3.0.3 plugin "zpool status" looks as follows after pressing the button "import" in the webui:

Great!

2. file systems are shown correct now:

My pool is configured as shown in the following screenshot:

2a. with omv3.0.13 and the openmediavault-zfs 3.0.1 plugin "File Systems" section in the webui looks as follows:

This view doesn't fit to the pool, but everthing I need worked as expected.

2b. with omv3.0.40 and the openmediavault-zfs 3.0.3 plugin "File Systems" section in the webui looks as follows:

WOW, with the new plugin the file systems view gets repaired.

@luxflow Great work, well done!

For the moment everything looks as expected.

This weekend I am going to scrub my file systems and report back here.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Here is my way to install kernel 4.6 and headers
    Basic idea is to install packages from debian snapshot repo
    (see http://snapshot.debian.org/)

P.S For changing mountpoint, no success .. hmm maybe should I request to volker to patch some point

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• Here is my way to install kernel 4.6 and headers

Ok, so we have two ways to install a newer kernel. Thanks for sharing that.

Tonight I scrubed my file systems. The scrub process worked fine, repaired 8k with 0 errors and was as fast as with openmediavault on bare metal. So the kvm performance is good. Anyway I am going to use the proxmox 4.4 kernel, because it has long term support. ;)

Waht do you think about the repaired 8k? The last time i sometimes removed the two miniSAShd-cables from from the mainboard to setup the proxmox machine. I didn't want proxmox with it's own zfs capabilities to touch my pool. Maybe this was the trigger for that? I am going to observe my pool and do another scrub the next days. Are there any possibilities to analyze these errors?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Waht do you think about the repaired 8k? The last time i sometimes removed the two miniSAShd-cables from from the mainboard to setup the proxmox machine. I didn't want proxmox with it's own zfs capabilities to touch my pool. Maybe this was the trigger for that? I am going to observe my pool and do another scrub the next days. Are there any possibilities to analyze these errors?

http://www.freenas.org/blog/yes-you-can-virtualize-freenas/

Precautions

• If you are not using PCI passthrough (more on that below), then you must disable the scrub tasks in ZFS. The hardware can “lie” to ZFS so a scrub can do more damage than good, possibly even permanently destroying your zpool.

I don't know exactly since I dont know very well about virtualization
    But maybe this is the reason I think..

OMV3 on Proxmox

• I don't know exactly since I dont know very well about virtualizationBut maybe this is the reason I think..

Hello @luxflow

my sas-controller (LSI SAS3008) is passed through to the openmediavault kvm. So this should not be the problem.

Greetings Hoppel

• Hello,

I see the following errors in the syslog, when I access a smb-share and my hdds have to wake up after a spindown:

I found the following closed issue, describing the same problem:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/3785

And I found this current issue with zfs 0.6.5.6:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/4638

There I described my error in detail. What do you think about this?

Greetings Hoppel

• Why not grab additional hdd drive, clone omv image to that hdd and test it in barebone?

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Put disks in vdev in standby (e.g. hdparm -y /dev/sd[b-i])
    2. Attempt to access a filesystem in that pool
    3. Observe errors

I followed above step in my environment
    (I install zfs-dkms, spl-dkms from latest debian backports, and install kernel from snapshot since 4.7 don't works well with my computer)

root@openmediavault:/tank/media# dpkg -l | grep dkms
    ii dkms 2.2.0.3-2 all Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
    ii spl-dkms 0.6.5.8-2~bpo8+2 all Solaris Porting Layer kernel modules for Linux
    ii zfs-dkms 0.6.5.8-1~bpo8+1 all OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux

root@openmediavault:/tank/media# uname -a
    Linux openmediavault 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.3-1~bpo8+1 (2016-07-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

In my environment, no error appear
    I always spin down all drives after 30 minutes, and no issue yet
    I also didn't experience this issue when zfs-dkms, spl-dkms is 0.6.5.7

OMV3 on Proxmox

• Hello @luxflow,

thanks for answering and the approach.

Why not grab additional hdd drive, clone omv image to that hdd and test it in barebone?

Steps to reproduce:
    3. Observe errors

I will try that if I have the time. I am not sure if this is really related to zfs, even if it seems so. Maybe it is related to the pci passthrough. I have an additional hdd here, but never cloned a kvm to an hdd.

For the moment I disabled the spindown and now I don't see the error messages. But for sure I want to spindown my disks in future.

OK, I will check the snapshot kernel the three packages you mentioned above.

Do you use any kind of virtaulization? Which "spindown mode" (Advanced Power Management) do you use? My hdds were configured the following way:

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

• by the way... I found some other no priority things:

Is it somehow possible to get back the default values in the properties? It would be nice.

The file systems view doesn't show the right values under "total". It looks like a mixup.

If I have a look at the pool. It looks fine:

No priority things at all... ;)

Greetings Hoppel

• Do you use any kind of virtaulization? Which "spindown mode" (Advanced Power Management) do you use? My hdds were configured the following way:

I'm using omv on baremetal (no virtualization),
    spindown mode APM,ACM = disable, only spindown time is set to 30 minutes
    hdds are conntected to motherboard sata ports

I will consider UI improve in `edit properties`
    and also thanks for reporting file systems view bug
    Maybe fixed future release, but since it is not critical, I cannot confirm when to release

OMV3 on Proxmox

• Why not grab additional hdd drive, clone omv image to that hdd and test it in barebone?

Steps to reproduce:
    3. Observe errors

OK, I checked it with my "old" bare metal setup (omv 3.0.13 and omv-zfs from that stage of development). When the disks get into standby and I try to access a file system of my pool, I see the same messages in the log file as in the kvm. So this issue is not related to my virtualization environment. I don't know why I didn't recognize the errors in the bare metal setup. Maybe I didn't want see them. :D

OK, this is offtopic here.

Greetings Hoppel

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• omv-zfs is uploaded in repo
    ==========

3.0.4 released

what's new?

• Refactor code
      it is not important for end-user
    • Change dependencies (4.7 kernel is now supported)
      if you're upgrading from old openmediavault-zfs, shuold have to remove previous package following command
      Code
      apt-get autoremove debian-zfs libnvpair1 libuutil1 libzfs2 libzpool2 zfsutils spl-dkms zfs-dkms openmediavault-zfs
    • Add mountpoint properties for filesystem
      Do not change mountpoint which has omv share
    • Fix rename filesystem
    • Fix Filesystem size information ( hoppel118 reported this issue)

As soon as @ryecoaaron upload omv-omvextrasorg 3.4 and omv-zfs 3.0.4 to bintray
    It can be downloaded

OMV3 on Proxmox

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von luxflow ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

As soon as @ryecoaaron upload omv-omvextrasorg 3.4 and omv-zfs 3.0.4 to bintray

omv-extras 3.4 needs omv 3.0.47. So, I will upload both when it is released.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just a quick question for my understanding here:

If I install erasmus and omv-ZFS, which Kernel will I receive and ZOL version as default?

Backports jessie is Kernel 4.7, and ZOL version is 0.6.5.8-1.

will this work?

• If I install erasmus and omv-ZFS, which Kernel will I receive and ZOL version as default?

omv-zfs doesn't depend on kernel but depends on dkms-zfs
    dkms is kind of a automatic building system, so
    Whenever you install kernel header (linux-headers-amd64) or install new dkms pakcage (for example dkms-zfs)
    It build all dkms module(including dkms-zfs) for kernel headers

For example if you have a header for backports kernel (you can get with below command)
    apt-get install -t jessie-backports linux-headers-amd64
    You will get dkms for backports kernel (currently 4.7)

You can freely choose your kernel, anytime you want

OMV3 on Proxmox

• I just tried to upgrade OpenMediaVault 3 + ZFS. It failed with errors, so I started over by reinstalling from openmediavault_3.0.36-amd64.iso and it failed again with the same errors:

- updated everything.
    - uploaded openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all3.deb
    - installed omv-extras under "plugins"
    - enabled OMV-Extras -> ZFS + ZFS Testing
    - Update everything again
    - then installed openmediavault-zfs 3.0.4 under plugins which threw the same errors when trying to upgrade. Here is the part that shows what is going wrong:

Here is a part from /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.7/build/config.log where I saw errors:

Here are my versions:

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

• @roccur did you try this command?

Bash
    apt-get autoremove debian-zfs libnvpair1 libuutil1 libzfs2 libzpool2 zfsutils spl-dkms zfs-dkms openmediavault-zfs

before installing new omv-zfs?

It seems you use old version of zfs (0.6.5.7)

After completely remove all zfs related things (include plugins) with above command, try install again

OMV3 on Proxmox

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von luxflow ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!