[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, I can't compile module on OMV 3.0.59 and OMV-ZFS 3.0.6. Is it something already known? DKMS log is attached.

You upgraded to the 4.9 kernel. zfs doesn't build on the kernel yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @luxflow - is the new ZFS plugin just waiting in the wings or is there other work to be done on it?

I ask because 3.0.60 is out but I didn't see an update for openmediavault-zfs. (Yes, I'm excited over this. I mess around enough with stuff that this bug has been driving me batty. :) )

• it is because I changed some logic to new one which both subzero79, raulfg3 suggest
    I think it will released less than 24 hour

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• it is because I changed some logic to new one which both subzero79, raulfg3 suggest
    I think it will released less than 24 hour

Awesome!

Thanks for all the work you've been doing on the plugin, it's great to see someone can pick up and go with it when the original author got swamped with real life. Maybe some day I'll get around to actually learning enough coding to do the same. :)

• done, upgrade your package

Code
    openmediavault-zfs (3.0.7) stable; urgency=low

* Fix fstab mount problem
      * Remove autoShareNestedProperty, use crossmnt, nohide in nfs share options
      * Fix nfs share prevent zfs-mount.service from mounting when booting

Fix fstab mount problem is
    something like a ...
    mount: can't find /openmediavault in /etc/fstab'

By default, when you create nfs share for zfs,
    omv-zfs add crossmnt option to extrasoption, if you don't like this behavior, use nohide
    (and also remove zfs setting menu, since it is not needed anymore)

*additional notes*
    thanks for both @subzero79 and @fumantsu who suggest workaround for zfs-mount.service issue (also thx to @raulfg3 for reporting bug and please close bug report if issue is solved)
    Although subzero79's workaround is best, but it require systemd upgrade, which is complicate, so I choose fumantsu's

*additional notes2*
    I'm planning for adding auto snapshot feature for omv-zfs
    but I'm not sure which autosnapshot scripts is best in ZoL, any ideas? sharing your experience?
    also it is welcomed to request feature for omv-zfs here or github page (sorry but I cannot 100% guarantee feature is added since I will add common, and general feature)

OMV3 on Proxmox

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von luxflow ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

3.0.7 is in zfs-testing now.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• *additional notes2*
    I'm planning for adding auto snapshot feature for omv-zfs
    but I'm not sure which autosnapshot scripts is best in ZoL, any ideas? sharing your experience?

I'm using ZFSnap personally. Nice thing about it is that it uses the snapshot name for cleanup and control. On the other hand, that's the 2.0 branch which they still list as beta, but there's been no activity in a while. That might just mean there's nothing wrong with it, or it might mean the author's had to abandon.

I'm mostly using it because it's fairly straightforward to set up cron jobs with.

• So I've upgraded from OMV2 to 3 and got ZFS working in a RaidZ 3x3TB setup. Today I wanted to see what a drive failure would look like so I pulled out one of the drives from the Pool. The result is not what I expected. The Pool status still shows "OK" and nothing is sown under "State", so just looking at it I wouldn't know there is a drive failure. The email alert received is confusing as I received a Samba alert. This is odd because this test Pool of three drives doesn't have have any Samba shares. The only indication I can see that there is actually a drive failure is by looking at the details of the Pool, which tells me there is a label missing and the pool is degraded. Honestly if this wasn't a test I would still think my pool was fine just by looking at the dashboard. Has anyone tested failure on their pool and got a better result? Any idea what this alert below is?

Code
    The Samba 'panic action' script, /usr/share/samba/panic-action,
    was called for PID 5366 (/usr/sbin/smbd).

This means there was a problem with the program, such as a segfault.
    However, gdb was not found on your system, so the error could not be
    debugged.  Please install the gdb package so that debugging information
    is available the next time such a problem occurs.
  • To diagnose
    I need to know
    what command do you to pull out hdd disk?
    can you also post `dmesg` after error appear?
    and do you use omv on virtual machine or real machine?

OMV3 on Proxmox

• To diagnose
    I need to know
    what command do you to pull out hdd disk?
    can you also post `dmesg` after error appear?
    and do you use omv on virtual machine or real machine?

I'm pretty sure if he's simulating a drive failure, he didn't use a command, he just pulled the drive (especially if it was in a hot-swap bay).

From what I can see, the "STATE" field isn't actually doing anything, and the "OK" in the Status field is apparently for the default dataset for a given zpool. In fact, it appears there is no method by which to see zpool status information on the plugin's main screen.

If that's correct, maybe it should be changed to have STATE be replaced with "ZPool Status" and populate that column with the status of the underlying zpool, since neither my zpools, datasets, nor snapshots populate that column.

This is where it drives me nuts that I can't seem to wrap my head around coding; I'd jump in and see if I could contribute changes. In my opinion, the plugin really should have at least two tabs, preferably three: One for zpools (and possibly VDEVs), one for Datasets, and one for Snapshots. It'd allow for a lot more controls and options because you wouldn't have to fit it all in on one tab.

I'd like to be able to make those changes and contribute directly to the plugin, but I can't. And I know that doing that would be a mountain of work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd like to be able to make those changes and contribute directly to the plugin, but I can't.

Why not? permissions or skill or time or ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

when they still had magazines that printed BASIC programs in them.

I still have some of those magazines :) The zfs plugin is not the plugin to learn from anyway. A simpler plugin like the minidlna plugin would be better to start with if you have time.

• From what I can see, the "STATE" field isn't actually doing anything, and the "OK" in the Status field is apparently for the default dataset for a given zpool.

Confirmed I didn't notice that. state field actually showing nothing, it should display pool healty (ONLINE or OFFLINE), will be fixed in next version
    but I think status field works well. if it shows OK, it means there is no error in zpool
    code

In my opinion, the plugin really should have at least two tabs, preferably three: One for zpools (and possibly VDEVs), one for Datasets, and one for Snapshots. It'd allow for a lot more controls and options because you wouldn't have to fit it all in on one tab.

Agree, at least I'm planning to seperate snapshot view, too many snapshots or function in one main view makes me feel headache
    I will refer to freenas zfs implementation
    but I doubt view for zpools, In my thoughts, detail button is enough

Contributing plugin at first look is difficult, but it isn't very hard.
    simple plugin, or simple bug fix is good start point. I also recommend to refer plugin development documentation and see changes between commits

OMV3 on Proxmox

• Code
    openmediavault-zfs (3.0.9) stable; urgency=low

* Fix state field
      * Add tab for snapshots

-- OpenMediaVault Plugin Developers <plugins@omv-extras.org>  Sat, 18 Feb 2017 23:01:29 +0900

Fix state field and Initial support for snapshot tab

Known bug
    1. snapshot tab paging doesn't works well you should have to click refresh before using (it seems like omv bug, I reported)

OMV3 on Proxmox

• Offizieller Beitrag

3.0.9 in the repo now.

• Agree, at least I'm planning to seperate snapshot view, too many snapshots or function in one main view makes me feel headache
    I will refer to freenas zfs implementation
    but I doubt view for zpools, In my thoughts, detail button is enough

My reasoning on the zpool tab was, specifically, anything that zpool commands would do would go there. So, creating ZPools, adding VDEVs, managing physical disks, etc. Probably not necessary, but in addition to the logical division I was thinking of ways to reduce the number of things to do on the main tab.

Snapshots just makes sense because if you're doing them the recommended (some would say, "right") way, you're going to have metric buttloads of snapshots, and the clutter gets to be a bit much. :)

Installing 3.0.9 now, will poke around and get back to you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

to have metric buttloads

How many is that exactly? :D:D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!