[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• I will test it out with my 1 GB WD Green soon. It's a trash drive so, perfect for testing.

This would be better.

Will the ZFS plugin be supported a long time in OMV? Don't want to set up ZFS and then in a few updates I can't use it anymore.

I don't actually use the Plugin to create and administer my pools, I use the command line. I use the plugin because it integrates well with the other settings. I can't see support going anytime soon. A lot of work has been put into it of late. It's unlikely to just get abandoned.

• I have a last question in general.
    Many many of my files on my drives are already 7zipped. Do I actually profit of ZFS compression or not?

Currently I am using ext4 because when creating a new "drive" I need to choose the file system. I have btrfs, some of extX and JFS but not ZFS.

• I'm pretty sure 7zip is lz4 which is what you would be best choosing as a compression method for ZFS if you go down that route - so a quick guess, no. But you'd be better off trying it on your WD green and checking. ZFS can tell you how much space you are saving.

This is from one of my media pools:

Code
    compressratio         1.01x

As you would expect, there is not much saving. But you will find that changes depending on the files you put in the pool. LZ4 can give you very good savings with VERY little CPU cost. It's a bit of a miracle algorithm.

Once you've setup your pool, turn compression on:

Code
    zfs set compression=lz4 [Poolname]

Copy data in, then:

Code
    zfs get all [Poolname] | grep compressratio
  • It's working but on a 1 TB drive i Only can access 898 GiB. This is way too loosy.
    I will get away from ZFS. Furthermore I will get away because all persons using ZFS I know totally stress me out using datasets, Snapshots, RAID and all this stuff I absolutely don't need.
    I use rsync once a day or a week and I have my data always safe on an external drive. Snapshots and all this stuff are totally stupid and only for people with too much time.

These people just thing ZFS is the wonder of IT and better than everything else. Nothing can damage your data. They even say zfs send <whatever> sends 5 TB in one hour. I don't like liars. So I will stay away from that.

I go back to EXT4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Snapshots and all this stuff are totally stupid and only for people with too much time.

Snapshots are awesome where I work. Especially when someone deletes a folder of new files created since the last backup.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This guy always talked about meta data and pointers who get saved.
    Snapshots are fine, but not the zfs ones.

I use rsync to my second and third disk and if someone deltes something, I can get it back easily too, no problem :P No over-complicated zfs needed :P

I am a normal user, no pro. All I want is that it's working without being in ssh 10 hours a day.

• It's working but on a 1 TB drive i Only can access 898 GiB. This is way too loosy.

Have you set the correct ashift for your drive?

I will get away from ZFS. Furthermore I will get away because all persons using ZFS I know totally stress me out using datasets, Snapshots, RAID and all this stuff I absolutely don't need.
    I use rsync once a day or a week and I have my data always safe on an external drive. Snapshots and all this stuff are totally stupid and only for people with too much time.

These people just thing ZFS is the wonder of IT and better than everything else. Nothing can damage your data. They even say zfs send <whatever> sends 5 TB in one hour. I don't like liars. So I will stay away from that.

I go back to EXT4.

Fine, you do that. No one is forcing you to use it. You came here asking for help getting it up and running, but what you really have a problem with is the implementation of the filesystem itself. You go back to EXT4. I'll stick with my ZFS datasets, so when I open my family photos that I haven't looked at for a while, they're not half gone and my music remains blip free. I don't think I am stupid for wanting to use ZFS - what I do think is stupid is coming to a forum where other people are helping you in their free time and then throwing your toys out the cot.

This guy always talked about meta data and pointers who get saved.
    Snapshots are fine, but not the zfs ones.

I use rsync to my second and third disk and if someone deltes something, I can get it back easily too, no problem :P No over-complicated zfs needed :P

What you are talking about is normal backup. Backup which will backup a corruption if it occurs. But ultimately it's up to you what you choose to use. If you are happy with what you are using, then by all means carry on that way - we stupid ZFS users won't stop you.

I am a normal user, no pro. All I want is that it's working without being in ssh 10 hours a day.

I don't SSH 10 hours a day, and OMV makes this so simple you don't need to. If you're referring to the commands I pointed you to earlier, they were just to help you figure out if compression was worthwhile and they wouldn't be done more than once.

• Code
    so when I open my family photos that I haven't looked at for a while, they're not half gone and my music remains blip free.

This one I don't understand.
    Why should this happen with Ext4?

I said to this other person outside of this forum too, that ZFS is not some kind of magic which is capable of everything.
    And even if photos are gone: every person should have backups around.

Code
    we stupid ZFS users won't stop you.

The other person outside reacted exactly like this too. I never said ZFS users are stupid.

Whatever. I'm back to Ext4, all my data is safe with that too. Every person uses what he wants to use and what he's capable of administrating.

• This one I don't understand.
    Why should this happen with Ext4?

What you need here is to understand bit rot.

I said to this other person outside of this forum too, that ZFS is not some kind of magic which is capable of everything.

Really? Damn.. I was going to ask it to predict this weeks lottery numbers.

And even if photos are gone: every person should have backups around.

Of course, and ZFS helps mitigate the risk of those backups being junk.

The other person outside reacted exactly like this too. I never said ZFS users are stupid.

.... I don’t think this can be explained to you.

Whatever. I'm back to Ext4, all my data is safe with that too.

Then that’s all that matters, isn’t it? If you are happy that your data is safe, then there’s no need to change anything. To quote the Inbetweeners: “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it stick Lego up it’s bum.”

• Zitat

Of course, and ZFS helps mitigate the risk of those backups being junk.

Read this:
    https://www.jodybruchon.com/20…about-bit-rot-and-raid-5/

Zitat

If you are happy that your data is safe, (...)

Exactly. Everyone uses what he wants to use. You like ZFS, that's it. I just use Ext4 because ... I can put my data on and I don't need to worry about <whatever>.
    Now let's stop here talking. This thread is not for fighting out whats better.

#ImOut here

• Well IDK who Jody Bruchon is... nor does anyone else. He's certainly no one the industry recognises as a file system expert - or has even heard of for that matter. He looks like some guy with his own name.com, a blog, and he likes youtube.. and a bad opinion on everything. Don't forget the awesome films he's directed. It was quite comical quoting such an awful reference.. I think it made the point perfectly.

• This is not something I have experienced, but give me some time today and I will see if I can reproduce.

• @alex.ba I haven’t been able to reproduce this. What hardware are you running? Have you tried reading from the pool after unplugging? This will surely happen sooner rather than later and trigger the degraded state. Can you also check from the command line:

Code
    zpool status [pool name]
  • hi, guys,

I have some problems with my omv/zfs nas.

I used this combination since omv2.1. I recently upgraded to omv4 with some new hardware (ryzen3 1200 and 16gb of ecc ram). Everything else is fine except the nas don't import the pool automatically after reboot. I searched here and tried everything I can find with no luck.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem.

• Is there an updated procedure somewhere in this 40 page thread for installing ZFS? If so, can someone save me the trouble of flipping through 40 pages?

The original procedure as documented 3 years ago does not seem to apply to the most recent release. I go into the update management and don't see any "extras"

thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!