[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• OMV 1.0

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is there an updated procedure somewhere in this 40 page thread for installing ZFS? If so, can someone save me the trouble of flipping through 40 pages?

The original procedure as documented 3 years ago does not seem to apply to the most recent release. I go into the update management and don't see any "extras"

thanks
    • When I've run into "Could not get a lock", a reboot cleared the issue. There may be other ways to do it.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • GreatBigGeek wrote:

Is there an updated procedure somewhere in this 40 page thread for installing ZFS? If so, can someone save me the trouble of flipping through 40 pages?

The original procedure as documented 3 years ago does not seem to apply to the most recent release. I go into the update management and don't see any "extras"

thanks
      In basic terms, installing the ZFS plugin will give you "ZFS". (And the installation may take awhile.) After that, it's a matter of having wiped drives available and creating a pool type of your choice.

When the pool is created, I run the following command lines as root. (Substitute the name of your pool in for ZFS1 .)

Source Code

1. zfs set aclinherit=passthrough ZFS1
      2. zfs set acltype=posixacl ZFS1
      3. zfs set xattr=sa ZFS1
      4. zfs set compression=lz4 ZFS1
      (Note: The above can also be done in the ZFS plugin, in the Overview tab, by clicking on the pool name and the Edit button.)

The above gives you the equivalent of Linux extended file attributes and permissions along with compression. This should be done after the pool is created, but before data is copied, to avoid having files with mixed attributes.

To get the best utility from ZFS, it's better to create child file systems, under the pool, in the plugin. ("File systems", as ZFS terms them, are the equivalent of root folders but have assignable ZFS properties.) This is done in the Overview tab, by clicking on your pool name, and the Add Object button, and naming the Filesystem.

Hope this helps.

The post was edited 3 times, last by flmaxey: edit2 ().

• flmaxey wrote:

When I've run into "Could not get a lock", a reboot cleared the issue. There may be other ways to do it.
      That’s pretty much the easiest way to sort unless you know what process is using it. You can have a look with htop or ps but if the system is able to be rebooted while you get a coffee, why not :)

Just for info: On Ubuntu, a common cause of this is the apt-daily services (which I always disable). They don’t come as standard with Debian though, so it’ll be something else.
    • ellnic wrote:

hey don’t come as standard with Debian though, so it’ll be something else.
      OMV adds a daily apt update.
      omv 4.1.12 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

ellnic wrote:

hey don’t come as standard with Debian though, so it’ll be something else.
      OMV adds a daily apt update.
      I didn’t realise that. All this time using it, and I never realised. :D

Is it still apt-daily? Just for info purposes:

Source Code

1. sudo systemctl mask apt-daily.service
      2. sudo systemctl mask apt-daily.timer
      3. sudo systemctl mask apt-daily-upgrade.service
      4. sudo systemctl mask apt-daily-upgrade.timer
    • ellnic wrote:

Is it still apt-daily?
      Nope, cron-apt. Look at /etc/cron.d/cron-apt
      omv 4.1.12 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • So yeah basically comment out line 5 or adjust. I personally do most stuff manually so I have no need for it. I’ll probably disable it by commenting out and leave installed in case I change my mind. Still can’t believe I didn’t notice this in 3 or so years OMV use. X/ or wait, it’s been more than 3 years. See this is how fried I am right now. Too much on and no sleep does not make an attentive ellnic :S
    • There are lots of ways to do this, with or without ZFS on the separate hard drive. Rsnapshot is probably the best of the more simple approaches. It provides for versioned backup, similar to ZFS snapshots, with targets that can be set on another drive.

Unfortunately, it's a bit on the labor intensive side to set up in that rsnapshot requires pairs of shared folders for a source and target - one from a filesystem in your ZFS pool and another shared folder on the destination drive.
      Outside of the entire server crashing, with ZFS snapshots and rsnapshot backups on another drive, you should have a recovery path from nearly any data disaster.

If you have questions, others might offer an opinion. Otherwise, I'll be back next weekend.

(BTW: Regrets, from your other post, regarding the data loss.)