openvpn help

• Hi all

So here's the scenario: I have omv for my media server. I want to be able to let my folks (who live outside the area) have access to some media files on the server from their own computer. I installed the openvpn pluggin and this is where i need help.

i went to the pluginin the gui and selected "dad" for the user then clicked on "certificates" which then prompted me to download a zip folder to my laptop.

1)What do i do next? I tried youtubing a step by step video on how to set up open vpn in omv but cant find anyone who has made a video yet.

2) what do my folks need to do on their end to connect to my server? My dad says he has Log-Me-In but will that enable him to connect? I also looked at teamviewer and hotspotshield.

Thanks for any help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your friends need to download the openvpn software client for their computers. Assuming is windows you can download here

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

For Mac osx you can use viscosity or Tunnelblick. For linux the network manager openvpn package should be enough.

You need to put the certificates you download from OMV to the config folder.

you need also to FWD in the router port 1194 to Omv to allow the remote connection.

• thanks for your help, sub

this may be where my confusion comes in. Where is this config folder and what do i do to get those certificates in the config folder? its a zip file so am i to unzip it first?

• In Windows:
    C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\

Start the client with admin rights. right click "start as Administrator"
    in the properties, you can activate it permanent (compatibility, run as admin...)
    the names can be a little different, german version

• I downloaded openvpn on my laptop as a "client" to see what exactly is going on. However I noticed that they call it Private Tunnel now and realized i wasnt actually downloading the true openvpn. So, i dl'd the one sub suggested in his post. I installed openvpn. Of course i clicked on the "gui" thing to start it up but it says "no keys" and such found. I took the zip file and placed it in the config file. However i still am unsure if i need to unzip all the contents into the config file? or just drag and drop the whole zip folder in it.

What i did was just drag n dropped the zip folder and right clicked "start as admin" and i see a greyed out icon in my system trey. Am i on the right track? Im not sure if im supposed to do anything else with openvpn on the client part

• Maybe the OpenVPNAS (Access Server) Plugin would be the easier choice for you since it distributes both config and client exe to your clients from its own webinterface. It is, however, limited to two concurrent Connections.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I decided, for now, to go with openvpnas. Just to keep things simple til i get educated on openvpn and the manual setup it requires.
    So now i installed the openvpnas plugin. However do i need to uninstall the openvpn pluggin? or can i just disable it?
    Im having issues to set this up.

I pressed the Admin web gui button but of course it doesnt work because of https. So then i just copied my ip info that is shown on the next line but that also doesnt work. Im a little confused on the setup for the admin side.
    basically in firefox im getting unable to display page message.

im not sure if my router is at play here or if its firefox. Ive forwarded ports 1194 udp and 943 tcp, and still no luck

• Update:

so i was able to figure out that having (i think) both openvpn and openvpnas plugins installed simultaneously created a problem. I uninstalled the openvpn plugin, reset my system and was able to get into the openvpnas web admin gui. I followed the instructions for the items that needed configuring, saved, then tried accessing the page for the client part with my omv wan ip by using "whats my ip". But now i get the same "connection was reset" problem. Not sure whats going on now. I forwarded the ports required. I cant even go back and access the admin web gui interface anymore.

• Did you setup OpenVPNAS to be accessable from your WAN IP?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You can only have one of these plugins installed so you were correct.
    With a lot of routers today you must be outside of your LAN to test the connection.
    Is your wan ip static from your internet service provider???? If it is not you would have to use a service like no-ip or dyndns.
    Foiwarding your ports, 1194 udp and 943 tcp, from your router to your OMV should not have effected your access to the admin UI.

• I have timewarner cable, and i just did a quick search and sounds like most ISPs assign dynamic. That I would have to pay more for static. Based on this information, if true, what does it mean? I mean my wan ip has been the same for a while now and hasnt changed from what i can tell.

in my router settings Netgear WNDR3400v2, i have two radio buttons under internet IP address: Get dynamically from isp, which i left unchecked. Then use static ip which i assigned 192.168.0.12. I guess this has no bearing on the wan IP?

• You can create an account with no-ip, they are free. Whenn you create an account you can setup a web address that will be used to access your OMV from the internet. Then you need tol install a client on your OMV. The client will update the web address with any changes in your wan ip so you can always reach your OMV even if the ip changes. The web address you get from no-ip will be used in the Admin UI in place of the WAN IP.

http://www.noip.com/

http://www.ducky-pond.com/post…dns-with-no-ip-on-debian/

PS- You need a service like no-ip with either of the OpenVPN plugins. Otherwise when your dynamic ip changes you will not be able to connect.

• i got my no-ip ddns setup, and installed the client using the link you provided in command line. Does it matter if the client is running before i setup the plugin? Which should be setup first or does it matter? I still cant seem to access the admin web gui in opvpnas. getting the "unable to connect" problem in firefox. i may be getting things out of order on setup. ports are already forwarded in both router and windows firewall.

this is an error i get when i hit save in the openvpnas plugin page

Failed
    to execute command 'export LANG=C; update-rc.d 'openvpnas' disable
    2>&1': update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script
    `openvpnas' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
    insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script
    `openvpnas' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
    insserv: warning: script 'noip2' missing LSB tags and overrides
    insserv: There is a loop between service openmediavault-beep and noip2
    if stopped
    insserv: loop involving service noip2 at depth 2
    insserv: loop involving service openmediavault-beep at depth 1
    insserv: Stopping noip2 depends on openmediavault-beep and therefore on
    system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
    update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header

• You should just let the no-ip client run all the time. Have it running before you setup the openvpn as plugin.

There is a problem with the init script from that tutorial for no-ip I gave you. I try to find one for you.
    The openvpnas run levels need to be fixed too:

update-rc.d -f openvpnas remove
    update-rc.d openvpnas defaults

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!