Looking to Build Home NAS

• I've been contemplating switching from Fedora Linux to either FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault, however with the hardware I have I don't really get a straight answer on what is compatible and what will work. I've done my fair share of googlng the last few weeks.

I have an Intel I7-870 With 16gb of RAM, 2.0tb WD Black Boot Drive, A mix of 2tb wd greens, samsung 2040uis, and hgst 4tbs. (internally) i have 8 drives. As for the external storage I have two Sans Digital eSata enclosures, each with 5x4tb Seagate NAS. I would love to set this machine up in a NAS enviroment, right now its in Fedora Linux 21, (I just did fed-up) and the RocketRaid card is a pain the ass to deal with.

I have a second machine, AMD-A10-6800k, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 Onboard Sata Slots with 1 4 port controller card, interally this has 6 6tb wd greens, 1 wd seagate 3tb (boot) and the rest are 6.0tb mix of seagate and wd. I also have a lot of external drives, several MyBooks I have hooked up. I am a media nut, and so is my family so I'm trying to create something simple for all of us to use. This is were the webgui would come in handy.

Will OpenMediaVault work with that RocketRaid card?

I'm not really worried so much about creating RAIDs of any type I know its not good to mix hard drives.

I've done as much research as I can and I hopefully will hear from some of you who have built home NAS's and offer me some advice, I cannot spent any more money but I would like to do something immediately if I can.

• Will OpenMediaVault work with that RocketRaid card?

Yes, you may need to install the driver manually.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!