HP ProLiant Gen8: SAMBA and Permissions Issues

• Hey everyone

Accessing SAMBA via \\OPENMEDIAVAULT works, but for an individual folder I get the error "Windows cannot access \\openmediavault\Downloads". I then checked the permissions for the users again, but they all should have access. When resetting the permissions it seems to work:

Code
    Clearing ACLs ...
    Changing owner to root:users ...
    Change directory permissions to 2775 ...
    Change file permissions to 664 ...
    Done...

But in the system log, I get the message omv-engined[11063]: Failed to write to socket: Broken pipe whenever I apply "reset permissions"

I don't really understand the concept behind it though: If I click on "reset permissions" they are changed for all shares in the list, not just the one I selected.

Thanks in advance for any hints or solutions.

• Ok, thank you for the clarification!

I once again removed all the shares, users, disabled/enabled SMB and used a different laptop to login, but still no luck. I still get "Windows cannot access \\openmediavault\Downloads" and omv-engined[6074]: Failed to write to socket: Broken pipe in OMV systemlog

Should I try reinstalling or do you have any other ideas?

EDIT: Changing the SMB settings to "only guests" didn't work either

• Failed to write to socket: Broken pipe

On what kind of device did you install OpenMediaVault?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'm not quite sure what you are referring to when you say "authorization to users". I added one user as part of the group "users" and gave it the necessary permissions (Read/Write). I then tried using the "reset permissions" tab under "file systems", which yields the error omv-engined[6074]: Failed to write to socket: Broken pipe. Is there anything else I need to pay attention to? It is quite frustrating, as I have tried many different things over the last couple of hours.

SMB is running according to services and I also restarted it via SSH to make sure (service samba restart).

EDIT: OMV is running on HP ProLiant Gen8 G1610T and I set up a RAID6 using 4x3TB WD RED HDDs

• Would you be so kind to also answer my question?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• And the Operating System (OpenMediaVault) is installed on...?

Greetings
    David

• Ah. Just like I thought. Take that Flash Drive out of your MicroServer and put it in here:

Then you get a 2,5" HDD in a USB enclosure and freshly install OpenMediaVault.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV/Debian/collectd/rrdcache write to the drive too much for a flash drive to handle because they have limited writes. I have a laptop drive in my N40L in the optical bay. You could use an SSD as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read that HDD would be better than flash drive, but not that it doesn't work.

After a while (people have come here with problems after two weeks of fresh install) they tend to behave abnormally, at the end they get wasted, OMV writes too much.
    Please consider another media for OS install, even a second hand 2.5" laptop drive (20 dollars) will have better resistance

• Having spent several hours setting everything up once again, this time using a 2.5" HDD, I am at exactly the same point. Same behaviour and error messages - so it wasn't due to the flash drive. I also checked on a Linux machine, but couldn't login either. Any further ideas? Could it help to delete the RAID and set it up again?

Btw: The Gen8 doesn't natively support 2.5" HDDs in the ODD bay (see here)

• Offizieller Beitrag

What filesystem is the data drive?

You can use a usb to sata adapter to put the 2.5" hard drive in the ODD bay.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Combing through the forums, I found this reply indicating that there was some issue back in 2013.

Could it be that this still hasn't been resolved? After some research, I found out that the network controller is a NC332i Broadcom BCM5720 and that the driver can be downloaded here. As I'm rather new to Linux... How should I go about it, if I had to install this?

EDIT: I solved it by setting up the RAID and the filesystem again. I suspect that it may have to do with the fact that I encountered some issues when I tried creating the root directory as the shared folder.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!