FTP help

• Hello everyone, I'm completely new to this. I've worked with linux before a little, but this is my first server, my first time setting up a domain. I have gotten to the point where I can see my media vault under network, and all the folders. I followed this guide http://en.jose-crispim.pt/arti…_openmediavault.html#p2_4. The only thing I did different from that guide is, my router doesn't have a "enable NAT" box to select. I set up a host on noip.com, after downloading the update client and realizing I had to check the "edit hosts" box and check my host, I was able to log on once. I entered my username and password, the following page didn't show any of my folders. So I exited the page, and the gui for router which I had open. I didn't change anything, but I can not log back on. It says webpage not available. I'm doing this through my browser, I haven't been able to log on using filezilla. Any advice would be helpful, as I said I'm completely new to this.

• Yes, but I've never set it up before. The way I did it was, after I gave my server a static ip, I went to port forwarding on the router and gave the server a starting port of 21 and ending port 22. I set the passive ports to 49150 and 49155. I read some other places that said just use 21 which I changed it on the router and it didn't help at all.

• I have that set up, I currently only have one user set up, but I allowed all privileges. I don't know if this is the problem, but when i set up ddns on my router, I don't remember exactly what it said, but it didn't say anything was wrong. Now on my router, when I go to ddns and click show status, it says "their is no ip address on the internet port". Could this be the problem?

• I used a port checker, it keeps saying the port is closed. I can use the web interface and ssh into it. I have a motorola surfboard modem in front of my router. I have the surfboards wireless turned off, but I noticed it has port forwarding as well. Do I need to change any of the port forwarding or ddns settings on it as well, or just on my router?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I need to change any of the port forwarding or ddns settings on it as well, or just on my router?

Depends. I have a motorola too, and they can act in bridge mode where the router behind aquires a public address or router mode where then the router will get an internal IP. Then you will have too double port forward or double NAT.

I personally have it in bridge mode, so all port fwd is done at the router, not the modem. The options is called NAPT disabled, you need to restart the modem. This also means I disable the modem wifi (if it comes with one)

• I will make sure NAPT is disabled later. Looks like I have another problem now, I rebooted my router and openmediavault, and now when it boots up, all I see is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. So after I figure this out, I'll get back to the port forwarding issue.

• Ok, so I have it working again. I disabled NAPT, I also noticed in the guide the guy added port forwarding for 443 which I didn't do at first. So I'm guessing it was that or disabling NAPT that worked. However, now when I try to log in with the browser it opens up the host I assigned wit no-ip, but after I put in my credentials, it flashes and those spaces go blank. I can not get past this stage now. I also can not log in through filezilla.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please don't follow that guide.

Also don't open the web interface to the internet. Use ssh access with key authentication (disable password in ssh), with that you can access the web interface securely using a SOCKS proxy. You can use a standard user, add it to ssh group and paste the public key in his profile windows in the web interface.

This about configuring FTP remote access right? can you access your server with the IP address (not the dynamic dns) in FILEZILLA?

Check the port 21 is effectively opened you can use the utility here http://www.canyouseeme.org/

• I'll stop looking at it, for the passive ftp, is the ranges 49150-49155 good? I seen tekebebe had a thread about it, and he used 14100 I believe.

Ok, I will try that. I'll have to read up on it, as I just used ssh for the first time last week. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

When I use filezilla, do I just type in Ftp: ip address where I would normally type the ddns? I did that with the browser earlier and it still does the same thing, I type in my credentials and it'll just loop. It does this with all the users I created.

It say's port 21 is open.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes in filezilla where it says host, type IP address.

Hint: The passive range is needed only when you use a domain to access. You also need to put that domain in the masquerade address field in FTP configuration in OMV. So for now lets test with ip address then you can open the passive range.

Also make sure the ftp server has at least a share and you have given access to that share with privileges button in shared folder section.

• When I used the IP in Filezilla, I got this:
    Protocol error: Unknown protocol identifier (0x50 0x50 0x48). Most likely connected to the wrong port.
    Connection to server closed.

For the shares, I given access to all of them through ftp.

• You're right I wasn't using the client. I have that installed now, but no matter what username I use I get,
    Command: USER chad
    Response: 331 Password required for chad
    Command: PASS *********
    Response: 530 Login incorrect.
    Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!