idle power consumption

• Hey guys, I have been monitoring the power consumption of my nas for some time now.
    My idle power consumption hovers around 17 Watts and the overall average is about 20 Watts.

Here my setup:
    -Asrock Q1900-ITX
    -Intel 320 40GB ssd (OS drive)
    -WD Green 4TB and WD green 2 TB

I would like to know the idle power consumption of your systems.
    Is it possible to lower my idle power consumption?

• - AsRock Q1900-ITX
    - 2x2 GB RAM
    - 3x HDD (WD Green, 2, 3 and 4TB)
    - 1x SSD (Kingston 30GB, System)
    - Digital-Devices Cine S2 V6.5 with 2 Tuners.
    - beQuiet! 300W Power Supply

Power consumption: ca. 37W in Idle.

I think it's too much but I've no idea where I can do something.
    In BIOS everything is deactivated (even USB which I don't need). Don't know what to do further.
    WD Greens won't spin down in Idle, no idea how to fix.

No Idea how to decrease power consumption further.. :(

• Hmm 37 Watts at idle is quite a lot.
    It would be interesting to know what you system consumes without the tuner.

I would really appreciate any advice on power tuning.

• I think I found a way to lower my average power consumption.
    As I don't need the server at night (24.00-"wake up of my laptop") I could tell it to shutdown at midnight and send a wake on lan package from my laptop when it wakes up.
    This would at least save me about 7 hour a day which would amount to a 30% power reduction.

That isn't quite what I was looking for but it's a start.

• Thanks, I'm already using Autoshutdown-Plugin for OMV to reduce power consumption.
    Server shuts down if no specified client is active in network or no recording is running, excepting the uptime I specified.
    So the Server normally is in hibernate for 12hrs/day.

Thats more saving, but the regular consumption in idle is too high.
    It has to be less than 30W for my configuration in my opinion.
    Digital-Devices Datasheet says TV-Tuner is consuming 5W, then I'm at ca. 32W in idle, even too much for me.

• Yes, manually spindown (hdparm -Y /dev/sdX) works with each of the three WD Greens.

Even hdparm shows then standby(hdparm -C)

But automatically the disks won't Spindown. Even after hours of idle hdparm shows "acrive/idle"

In OMV Settings I've setup spindown after 30mins for all HDDs...

• How high did you set the time for spindown?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• 30 is too high from our experience. You have to be below that. We don't know where this bug comes from, but values >=30 mins do not spindown hard disks for some people.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I set mine to 10 min.

My 4 TB WD green is rated to 300.000 load cycles.
    So if my drive were to spin up twice and spin down twice every hour every day it would still not hit the 300.000 after eight years.
    300.000/(4*24*365)=8,56...

• 30 is too high from our experience. You have to be below that. We don't know where this bug comes from, but values >=30 mins do not spindown hard disks for some people.

Greetings
    David

okay, thanks for advice.
    I will set it below 30mkns abd give it a try. I will give some feedback in a few days...

I set mine to 10 min.

My 4 TB WD green is rated to 300.000 load cycles.
    So if my drive were to spin up twice and spin down twice every hour every day it would still not hit the 300.000 after eight years.
    300.000/(4*24*365)=8,56...

the losd-cycle-count is a different thing
    in worst case you got 1count every 8seconds
    My newest wd green 4tb is 3months old and has already a count of
    20600 last 24hrs it counts >600..

• It would be interesting to know if a drive actually spins up and down.
    I've got my server in a shoe drawer :) so I don't know for certain if the drive do still spin down (they did when I set the system up).

I know one can get the load cycle counter with the smartctl tool ("smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep "^193").
    But is there a way to log it to a file so I can more easily monitor the counter?

Maybe with a script? I don't know how one would go about this.

It would be fantastic if i would have a graph in the omv admin panel but i think that is a bit far fetched.

• I'll try my luck tonight with that.

At the moment I'm using the same psu as you.
    I think I'll order a or several pico psu's of amazon to compare them to my current be quiet 300W.
    There are some reports on amazon.de claiming to get an idle of 10.9Watts with our mainboard at idle with no drives connected.

Further more I would like to know if your wake on lan works.
    For me it doesn't at the moment. I've activated it in the bios (not yet sure if it's on a current version) and in the network settings of omv.
    But if I turn the system of I can't turn it back on by sending a wol package.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried the backports 3.16 kernel? Newer drivers help lower the power consumption. I know on my QNAP TS-451 with one old 3.5" drive, I dropped from 22 watts to 16 at idle (drive still spinning in both cases) just going to backports kernel. Replacing it with usb dom (that supports static wear leveling) dropped it to 12 watts.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Support the nic driver wake on LAN?
    You can check this with ethtool eth0

Not sure how to interpret this.

"Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
    drv probe ifdown ifup
    Link detected: yes"

Have you tried the backports 3.16 kernel? Newer drivers help lower the power consumption. I know on my QNAP TS-451 with one old 3.5" drive, I dropped from 22 watts to 16 at idle (drive still spinning in both cases) just going to backports kernel. Replacing it with usb dom (that supports static wear leveling) dropped it to 12 watts.

I'll try a the backports tonight.
    Do I simply have to activate them from the admin panel? Is there anything to consider?

Maybe I'll try a usb stick to compare the power consumption.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!