Newb experiencing networking problem - help please?

• Everything seemed to set up fine (it's temporarily booting from a flash drive until I get an extra ssd - consider it proof of concept). It connected fine to the local mirror during install via wireless network. But now it only works via the wired Ethernet. Any suggestions?

It's destined to be a media server so having to wire it a room away from the (non wireless) TV is a bit of a pest.

I'm a Linux newb as well. On a steep learning curve.

Sam

• There is no (GUI) Support for wireless devices in OpenMediaVault. We also usually don't advice people to use Wifi to connect a server, we just generally expect people to attach it to fibre. If you need to have it connected via Wifi you have to leap the hurdle and find out that your wifi card is supported by Debian (which should be if you say you used it for installation) and how to setup the iwconfig for your device.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the reply David.

I'll look into either running a cable to its final position or a powerline option.

There's already a ludicrously long coax to the TV (perils of rented houses) so I could run it alongside that more or less. I'm not averse to trying a config but maybe I'll get comfortable with Debian first. :)

Best wishes

Sam

• (perils of rented houses)

Not gooing to argue with that, but did you even ask your Landlord for permission to put the wires into the wall? Or is the wiring that old so thats no good idea? ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!