How do you compile OMV plugins?

• Hi,

I would like to try OMV + BTRFS + 3.19 Kernel.

There is a 3.19 plugin here: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…penmediavault-kernel-3.19

I got as far as using the plugin-utilities to download that repo... so no far really. I have no idea how to actually compile that plugin or any of the plugins.

The only guide I could find that is also stickied appeared to be for a much older version of OMV.

Please give me some hints, I was thinking I would find a cross compiler - so if there isn't one, do I need specific distro/release?

TIA, Andy

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which guide is outdated? The process for building hasn't changed. This also is not a plugin. It is just building a .deb package for the 3.19rc2 kernel.

Why do you need a cross compiler? Are you building on one system to install on another? I really wouldn't recommend doing this but if you do, try it in a virtual machine first. btrfs is in the backports 3.16 which you can install with omv-extras. Is there something you need in 3.19? If it is btrfs raid5, I would wait...

To build on Debian wheezy for the same arch that you want to install on (I'm sure you will have to install more dependencies than what I list):

Code
    apt-get install build-essential git fakeroot devscripts
    git clone https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/openmediavault-kernel-3.19.git
    dpkg-buildpackage -b

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron,

Thanks for your reply, and your work with the plugins.

I found a guide on an older forum that was for pre 1.0. when i looked at it, i didn't see how it correlated with what I had found in OMV-plugin-developers sections on github. I should have said, I'm new and have only been exposed to OMV for about 4 hours.

I thought I would need a cross compiler as I don't have a debian system other than OMV and I *assumed* OMV would use a particular toolchain. However, I think what your saying is to build it on OMV, or get debian wheezy. either way, the toolchain will be correct.

thanks for listing out the steps, greatly appreciated.

yea, I had been under the impression that with 3.19 raid 5/6 with BTRFS was all green for go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 1.x = Debian Wheezy. My dev system is OMV. Then you don't have to worry about any compiler differences.

From what I read, raid5/6 under btrfs is still not ready for production even with 3.19.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a zfs plugin in the zfs testing repo...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use raid1 with kernel 3.16. Raid in btrfs is not rigid as mdadm. So 3x1TB in raid1 disk will give you 1.5TB usable space for example.
    In 6 to 9 month when raid56 becomes ready you can switch to raid5 with online conversion, the same as you can switch in between raid1 and raid0 or single at the moment.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!