Smb simply not working?

• OMV 1.0

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Smb simply not working?

I configured a drive, a folder, a user, a group. I can access this on my local network through bittorrent plugin, or the DLNA plugin. But when I configure SMB, it simply...doesn't work? The OMV machine should show up on the "Network" in windows 8.1 right? And then under that, there should be folders. But the machine doesn't even show. Both are using the workgroup "WORKGROUP" (this isn't case sensitive right?).

my smb.conf - pastebin.com/QRBV5wya

Is there something obviously wrong here? I've tried tweaking the config, restarting both computers, etc...yet nothing.

The post was edited 2 times, last by jdorje ().

• The network discovery is a bit choosy in the last weeks, dunno why. Experiencing it too.

Go into the Webgui and disable, apply, enable, apply the service discovery for Samba:

[IMG:http://i.imgur.com/kAhJa4a.png]

You can also access your Server directly if you open your explorer and type into the addressfield
      \\iporhostnameofyournas
      Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • The service discovery is not used by Windows, so this is not the reason.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • Most of the "seeing" issues in Windows are related most of the time to firewall issues. Bring down firewall and AV to check if they appear.
      The service announcement in samba is done by nmbd daemon for Windows. You can check in the process list when is running.
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server
    • Could you do me a favor and try to add the following to the extra options field for the global samba options?

Source Code

1. netbios name = hostname

Replace Hostname with your real hostname, no spaces.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • Rebooting the client computer does not cause it to appear, nor does it appear in any other client computer.

Turning off the wins and time server...okay actually I apparently did that already at some point. No difference in discovery.

Adding "netbios name = <hostname>" does nothing for discovery.

Firewall? Is there a firewall installed in the OMV distribution by default that could be blocking this? Or are you talking about in my router or client computer? Either way, different client computers can discover each other.

/usr/sbin/nmbd is running.
    • Firewall in linux is stateful. Ports get opened in linux by services demand.

So unless you put an explicit rule in iptables to block outgoing traffic of nmbd it has nothing to do with linux firewall.

I am talking about Windows firewall or any third party you have. Antivirus also, sometimes third party comes with some sort of firewall.

Also i wouldn't worry that much you can always access by network drive. In my experience is always windows firewall or different workgroup
      New wiki
    • jdorje wrote:

I configured a drive, a folder, a user, a group. I can access this on my local network through bittorrent plugin, or the DLNA plugin. But when I configure SMB, it simply...doesn't work? The OMV machine should show up on the "Network" in windows 8.1 right? And then under that, there should be folders. But the machine doesn't even show. Both are using the workgroup "WORKGROUP" (this isn't case sensitive right?).

my smb.conf - pastebin.com/QRBV5wya

Is there something obviously wrong here? I've tried tweaking the config, restarting both computers, etc...yet nothing.

try disable:
      local master = yes
      time server = yes

the most important is local master = no to avoid conflict with windows 8.1
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • root@nas-omv:/var/log/samba# smbtree
      WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
      Enter root's password:
      WORKGROUP
      \\THINKPAD7
      \\THINKPAD7\Users
      \\THINKPAD7\print$ Printer Drivers
      \\THINKPAD7\IPC$ Remote IPC
      \\THINKPAD7\C$ Default share
      \\THINKPAD7\Brother Brother
      \\THINKPAD7\ADMIN$ Remote Admin
      \\NAS-OMV nas-omv server
      \\NAS-OMV\IPC$ IPC Service (nas-omv server)
      \\NAS-OMV\public
      \\FREENAS FreeNAS Server
      \\FREENAS\IPC$ IPC Service (FreeNAS Server)
      \\FREENAS\public
      \\FREENAS\plexmedia
      \\FREENAS\completed

the \\NAS-OMV is my openmediavault share.
      From the OMV server, I can see all my other server shares. From my windows 8.1, I can see all shares except the OMV one.

Any idea where to look?
    • This problem has been around always like a ghost, only two solutions that have worked in my case is to put windows client in the same workgroup as omv and sometimes change the network client network to home instead of public or bring down the windows firewall.

Other than that I don't really care about this issue, since I prefer mapped drives and well defined host names in the lan, so I can and use win+r \\hostname
      New wiki
    • I did a tcpdump and nothing unusual:
      14:00:34.192361 IP nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds > P1179943.local.53726: Flags [.], ack 113, win 457, length 0
      14:00:34.195216 IP nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds > P1179943.local.53726: Flags [F.], seq 1, ack 113, win 457, length 0
      14:00:34.195554 IP P1179943.local.53726 > nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds: Flags [.], ack 2, win 256, length 0
      14:00:34.195578 IP P1179943.local.53726 > nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds: Flags [R.], seq 113, ack 2, win 0, length 0

I have tried reinstalling OMV without anything new. I have took the config from my freenas and adapted it to OMV, nothing changed either.
      I've tried renaming the server but still no change.
      Disabling the client firewall isn't helping either.

I'm really wondering where to look for.