Smb simply not working?

• I configured a drive, a folder, a user, a group. I can access this on my local network through bittorrent plugin, or the DLNA plugin. But when I configure SMB, it simply...doesn't work? The OMV machine should show up on the "Network" in windows 8.1 right? And then under that, there should be folders. But the machine doesn't even show. Both are using the workgroup "WORKGROUP" (this isn't case sensitive right?).

my smb.conf - http://pastebin.com/QRBV5wya

Is there something obviously wrong here? I've tried tweaking the config, restarting both computers, etc...yet nothing.

• The network discovery is a bit choosy in the last weeks, dunno why. Experiencing it too.

Go into the Webgui and disable, apply, enable, apply the service discovery for Samba:

You can also access your Server directly if you open your explorer and type into the addressfield
    \\iporhostnameofyournas
    Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Could you do me a favor and try to add the following to the extra options field for the global samba options?

Code
    netbios name = hostname

Replace Hostname with your real hostname, no spaces.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You don't need WINS support or the time server. Did you try on another machine??? Did you try rebooting your Windows 8.1 machine? Rarely I find that Window 8.1 pro needs a reboot.

• Rebooting the client computer does not cause it to appear, nor does it appear in any other client computer.

Turning off the wins and time server...okay actually I apparently did that already at some point. No difference in discovery.

Adding "netbios name = <hostname>" does nothing for discovery.

Firewall? Is there a firewall installed in the OMV distribution by default that could be blocking this? Or are you talking about in my router or client computer? Either way, different client computers can discover each other.

/usr/sbin/nmbd is running.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Firewall in linux is stateful. Ports get opened in linux by services demand.

So unless you put an explicit rule in iptables to block outgoing traffic of nmbd it has nothing to do with linux firewall.

I am talking about Windows firewall or any third party you have. Antivirus also, sometimes third party comes with some sort of firewall.

Also i wouldn't worry that much you can always access by network drive. In my experience is always windows firewall or different workgroup

• I configured a drive, a folder, a user, a group. I can access this on my local network through bittorrent plugin, or the DLNA plugin. But when I configure SMB, it simply...doesn't work? The OMV machine should show up on the "Network" in windows 8.1 right? And then under that, there should be folders. But the machine doesn't even show. Both are using the workgroup "WORKGROUP" (this isn't case sensitive right?).

my smb.conf - http://pastebin.com/QRBV5wya

Is there something obviously wrong here? I've tried tweaking the config, restarting both computers, etc...yet nothing.

try disable:
    local master = yes
    time server = yes

the most important is local master = no to avoid conflict with windows 8.1

• try disable:
    local master = yes
    time server = yes

the most important is local master = no to avoid conflict with windows 8.1

Alas, no change with that either. local master was set to "yes", but changing it to "no" makes no difference to the discovery issue.

Discovery continues to simply not work.

• root@nas-omv:/var/log/samba# smbtree
    WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
    Enter root's password:
    WORKGROUP
    \\THINKPAD7
    \\THINKPAD7\Users
    \\THINKPAD7\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\THINKPAD7\IPC$ Remote IPC
    \\THINKPAD7\C$ Default share
    \\THINKPAD7\Brother Brother
    \\THINKPAD7\ADMIN$ Remote Admin
    \\NAS-OMV nas-omv server
    \\NAS-OMV\IPC$ IPC Service (nas-omv server)
    \\NAS-OMV\public
    \\FREENAS FreeNAS Server
    \\FREENAS\IPC$ IPC Service (FreeNAS Server)
    \\FREENAS\public
    \\FREENAS\plexmedia
    \\FREENAS\completed

the \\NAS-OMV is my openmediavault share.
    From the OMV server, I can see all my other server shares. From my windows 8.1, I can see all shares except the OMV one.

Any idea where to look?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This problem has been around always like a ghost, only two solutions that have worked in my case is to put windows client in the same workgroup as omv and sometimes change the network client network to home instead of public or bring down the windows firewall.

Other than that I don't really care about this issue, since I prefer mapped drives and well defined host names in the lan, so I can and use win+r \\hostname

• Offizieller Beitrag

Look at each smb.conf and see what is different. Maybe that will help.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I did a tcpdump and nothing unusual:
    14:00:34.192361 IP nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds > P1179943.local.53726: Flags [.], ack 113, win 457, length 0
    14:00:34.195216 IP nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds > P1179943.local.53726: Flags [F.], seq 1, ack 113, win 457, length 0
    14:00:34.195554 IP P1179943.local.53726 > nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds: Flags [.], ack 2, win 256, length 0
    14:00:34.195578 IP P1179943.local.53726 > nas-omv.home.microsoft-ds: Flags [R.], seq 113, ack 2, win 0, length 0

I have tried reinstalling OMV without anything new. I have took the config from my freenas and adapted it to OMV, nothing changed either.
    I've tried renaming the server but still no change.
    Disabling the client firewall isn't helping either.

I'm really wondering where to look for.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!