[GUIDE] Enable SSH with Public Key Authentication (Securing remote webUI access to OMV)

• I'm having a similar issue.. I followed the guide. I can login to my nas using 'sshremote' but I can't with 'sshacess'. I get an error: "Warning: Identity file /Users/RS/.ssh/sshacess not accessible: No such file or directory.
    Permission denied (publickey)."

The output from ls -la ~/.ssh reveals that I do not have sshacess (attached image).

Should I have it?

• Does this guide still apply in OMV 2 and OMV 3?

Also, I'd like to make a new sudo account to SSH into so I'm not logged in as root, where I can accidentally mess things up. Is there a preferred "OMV" way of doing this, or should I follow Debian guides?

I'm mainly wondering what groups the new sudo user should belong to.

Thanks!

• Sorry but I didn´t take care who has posted that. ;) I thought I fits quite good to the second part of your question.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I'm running OMV 5.5.3.

Adding public keys to users through OMV web interface doesn't seem to produce any effect.

If I manually add the public key to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys of a user it works as expected (no password asked on ssh login).

If I add the public key through OMV web interface it has no effect... Password is still asked on ssh login.

Am I missing something or is this feature broken?

Thanks,

Bruno

• /var/lib/openmediavault/ssh/authorized_keys

a good tip, but not complete, this is complete solution to fix the "public authentication key issue"

add all your public keys to the file under the authorized_keys directory, the file usually named "username" that you use to login webUI of OMV7

for example I use "pi" as the login user id, the file for my OMV7 is named "pi", so appending your public keys to this file by any methods you knew

Host: Z97X-UD7 TH

Kernel: 6.1.0-16-amd64

CPU: Intel i7-4790K (8) @ 4.400GHz

GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M

Memory: 891MiB / 31943MiB

OMV Version: 7.0-20 (Sandworm)

HDD: 20TB+ 44TB + 44TB

Host: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1

Kernel: 6.1.21-v8+

CPU: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz

Memory: 475MiB / 3794MiB

OMV Version: 6.9.11-2 (Shaitan)

SSD: 512GB+4TB (all sata ssds)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!