Yet another LSI 9211-8i question

• I am in the process of replacing my hp Microserver with something with a bit more grunt so far I have

Supermicro X10SRi-F
    e5 1620 v3 cpu
    16 GB of ram
    and LSI 9211-8i

I am planning on running OMV in the ESXi and pass the LSI card to the OMV
    Here is 2 Question

1. Does LSI needs specific version of firmware or extra drivers installed

2. Should I use RAID on the card or let OMV do the magic and just flash IT firmware

I will have the pictures up once build is done and update my build info as well. :rolleyes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can't answer the ESXi part but I run mine 9211 in IT mode and use mdadm raid.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 1. Does LSI needs specific version of firmware or extra drivers installed

It may run without, but I guess you need to install the management software to be able to set the scrubbing etc. Oh, I skipped the ESXi part, you have to look up the ESXi compatibility list for that!

2. Should I use RAID on the card or let OMV do the magic and just flash IT firmware

Whats the purpose of a hardware raid controller thats expensive if you only use it in IT-Mode?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• The card is supported by ESXi so thats not a problem, the reason for separate raid controller is that I can pass the RAID card to OMV inside ESXi and OMV should be happy and have full control over discs and controller. I am planning to use the server as AIO server storage and VM lab.
    I have read way to much about the freenas 8) decided to stay with OMV.

Can't answer the ESXi part but I run mine 9211 in IT mode and use mdadm raid.

What version of firmvare are you running?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Whats the purpose of a hardware raid controller thats expensive if you only use it in IT-Mode?

It doesn't do raid5 and has no bbu. I got mine because I needed a lot more ports and wanted the cleaner sas-to-4 sata cables. I also thought about using zfs/btrfs someday.

What version of firmvare are you running?

mpt2sas0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(15.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.29.00.00)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• It doesn't do raid5 and has no bbu. I got mine because I needed a lot more ports and wanted the cleaner sas-to-4 sata cables. I also thought about using zfs/btrfs someday.

mpt2sas0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(15.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.29.00.00)

Cheers man, I am doing bench testing over the weekend, the set up is shaping up to be epic. I will do a small write up. I love the community here way better then freenas.

And another reason for raid controller is when you pass the device with ESXi you have to pass the whole controller. So if you have one controller all sata ports will belong to OMV, this defeats the whole idea of AIO server.

• It doesn't do raid5 and has no bbu.

Oh, my bad.

And another reason for raid controller is when you pass the device with ESXi you have to pass the whole controller.

:)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I never installed any drivers. I use the drivers included with Debian Wheezy. I wouldn't update the firmware unless you have a reason/problem. In two years of using mine, I haven't had a reason to update the firmware other than the initial IT mode flash.

• Same here. I use LSI RAID controllers (9260-8i, 9361-8i) using the Debian Wheezy drivers. I use the StorCLI utility to manage my RAID if it is needed or to flash firmware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. Not impossible to create though.

• I have made significant progress in testing and my build is finally finished. I will post full list of parts and build details. Over next few days. Stay tuned. So far everything is working great tho

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!