Best Single Board Computer to run OMV on? Raspberry Pi/Ordroid-C1/etc

• Hi all,
    Been looking at options for a USB NAS Adapter for a while so that I can have a device I can plug my external hard drives into in order to have them easily accessible over the network.
    I want to use external devices so that I can just unplug the hard drive when I go travelling and take it with me.

There are a number of devices out there, none of which seem too great. I currently have a Raspberry Pi 2 that I am using for my Media attached to my TV for playback.

I'm thinking that setting up OMV on a tiny board type computer (Raspberry Pi/Ordroid-C1/etc.) seems like the perfect solution.

What is the best system to get for this? I know the Raspberry Pi only has 100Mb/s network and so that is a big limitation. The Ordroid-C1 on the other hand has gigabit and decent amounts of RAM so seems like a good choice?
    Is it? Are there known issues with it? Are there better options?

Thanks

• The Ordroid-C1 on the other hand has gigabit and decent amounts of RAM so seems like a good choice?

Remember that it only has a USB 2.0 Port, thus you're limited to about 30MB/s if transfer vice-versa.

Is it?

For me it is. ;)

Are there known issues with it?

Yes, the GBit Ethernet is, as far as I know, still bugging if used with switches that utilize atheros chipsets. The general GBit Bug however is fixed already. The HDMI CEC is broke, but that doesn't make it less good as a NAS.

Are there better options?

That depends what you think is better. Higher Speeds? That would require an ARM Board with Sata Slot, but that would make it harder for you to detach the hard disk and take it with you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used to recommend the cubox from solid run but both of mine have failed now (about a year's time). They do have good support and replaced one but I had to send it to Israel. The cubox-i4pro does have the e-sata port that the odroid-c1 is missing but the odroid-c1 is *much* faster. The i4pro is about the same speed as the RPi2.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Based on what you say about the USB2 being the biggest limiting factor to speed (I would have thought my WiFi would be?), is a Banana Pi a better option then?
    I know for the drives I wanted to plug in and take out easily it would make no difference, but if I wanted a 'faster' drive that was constantly in as well as the ones I will be removing?

• Based on what you say about the USB2 being the biggest limiting factor to speed (I would have thought my WiFi would be?), is a Banana Pi a better option then?

If wifi is your limit, don't bother getting something else...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I have n WiFi (5Ghz) but I've always heard that WiFi is poor for data transfer rates due to overhead that has to be done in processing it?

The board will be plugged directly into the router with a Gigabit connection but then my Desktop will connect to the router by WiFI.

Do you have any idea the type of performance increase I'd get from using a BananaPi with a Sata driver over the Ordroid?

Thanks for all the help :)

• n or ac 5ghz?

If n... the banapi has a full sata interface which, as far as I know, can achieve more than 100 megabytes per second. But considering that you wifi may not even saturate the usb 2.0 the money is better invested in the odroid c1. Especcially since that device has more horsepower than the banana pi.

Greetings
    David

• I have a cubox-i4 pro since Januari 2014. I have been "tweaking" it a bit though as it was getting warm quite often. I drilled 4 holes in the plastic case and applied thermal paste on the processor. Hope it stays alive. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only used mine at nights for OpenELEC. When it started to fail, it would lockup even with the case open and cpu heatspreader temps under 40 C. The GPU wasn't even being used when it locked either. And yes, I tried many different sd cards and OSes. They tested and replaced it. I think it might be bad ram modules. I started using my i2ex after the i4 failed. The i2ex failed after a couple of months.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I use OpenELEC on one of my Cuboxes now but for some reason my box heated up way more than with Geexbox. Disabling RSS feed and disabling screen dimming helped a little but I got around 40°c with Geexbox and with earlier OpenElec builds I got temperatures over 80 °c, even got lockups when indexing my music and temperatures were over 90 °c. I have 2 Cubox-I4 pro.Hope for my sake that you got a bad batch. Didn't you get 2 replacements? Maybe a refund for the other 1. We have 2 years warranty by default.

• I used to recommend the Graperain from solid run but both of mine have failed now (about a year's time). They do have good support and replaced one but I had to send it to Israel. The Graperain 6818 single board linux computer does have the e-sata port that the odroid-c1 is missing but the odroid-c1 is *much* faster. The i4pro is about the same speed as the RPi2.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!