BitTorrent Sync 2.0

• No. I've abandoned it completely. Also, without any OMV integration (which there won't be) I see no point it since it would just be a plugin with an enable checkbox. For those who want it, it's as easy as adding the repo and installing it with apt.

• Regarding this:

Zitat

1. If btsync 1.4 is working for you, there is no reason to change. The repo we use only contains 1.4 so you don't have to worry about accidentally upgrading to 2.0

2. I'm sure someone could but the question is why? I don't use btsync. So what is the advantage of using 2.0 and creating a plugin for it? (I'm not going to but curious).

Not maintaining or updating a plugin you're responsible for, just because you personally don't like the product it supports, is HIGHLY irresponsible.
    It's forcing a decision upon everyone else (some of whom may have invested in the product), solely based upon your own personal experience.

Consumers: "Can we get bluetooth, DVD, cassettes?"
    Car manufacturer: "I don't like music, so I'm not going to update the entertainment options in my vehicles. 8-Track players work for people anyways, so there's no reason to update anything for them."
    Consumers: "WTF. How about a f'in AUX plug??"
    Car manufacturer: "I don't like music. You can SING though, that's an option we support.."

No offense, but that type of support is how you lose users, turn away possible new users, and kill your product/project, because it leaves everyone wondering what else is being neglected.
    The point to updating your plugin is to support the current product, because there's ALWAYS the change that a product update will deprecate a previous version, making it obsolete and/or unuseable.
    Another more common reason, to support newer versions, is because new versions of software are MORE often released to resolve security issues and threats (especially when it comes to internet related software).

For those who want to follow HK-47's advise,
    Resilio (the upgraded/renamed btSync) provides excellent install support instructions here:
    https://help.resilio.com/hc/en…ing-Sync-package-on-Linux

(Full disclosure, I don't work for them. I just use their product for remote backups where my backup only has internet connectivity, so other backup options are not an option.)

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von djdole () aus folgendem Grund: HK-47's latest install point is fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not maintaining or updating a plugin you're responsible for, just because you personally don't like the product it supports, is HIGHLY irresponsible.
    It's forcing a decision upon everyone else (some of whom may have invested in the product), solely based upon your own personal experience.

That is ridiculous. If you are a commercial company, that may be true but we are just volunteers producing open source code in our free time. No one is forcing you to do anything. You are free to maintain the plugin. We have created alternative plugins like syncthing. We also have personal issues with maintaining plugins that use closed source programs.

Consumers: "Can we get bluetooth, DVD, cassettes?"
    Car manufacturer: "I don't like music, so I'm not going to update the entertainment options in my vehicles. 8-Track players work for people anyways, so there's no reason to update anything for them."
    Consumers: "WTF. How about a f'in AUX plug??"
    Car manufacturer: "I don't like music. You can SING though, that's an option we support.."

Not a good example. Car manufacturers get paid (a lot) for supporting their users...

No offense, but that type of support is how you lose users, turn away possible new users, and kill your product/project, because it leaves everyone wondering what else is being neglected.
    The point to updating your plugin is to support the current product, because there's ALWAYS the change that a product update will deprecate a previous version, making it obsolete and/or unuseable.
    Another more common reason, to support newer versions, is because new versions of software are MORE often released to resolve security issues and threats (especially when it comes to internet related software).

We pulled the plugin. If people choose to use it, then that is their own risk. It is very similar to someone continuing to use Windows XP...

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecoaaron, My point was towards the irrelevant personal reasons that were given for not supporting a plugin.
    If there were/are more general project reasons, that's fine. Even "Low community interest or use" is acceptable (which would have been accurate, too).
    But giving an equivalent to "I don't use it so screw anyone else", or "this old version works, so who cares about upgrading/updating?" isn't a good reason and can give community members reason to question joining and/or contributing. Because my point (which I did explicitly state) was that it leaves everyone wondering what else is being neglected.

And it's not ridiculous. It doesn't matter if a project is just volunteers.
    The idea that a project needs to be commercial or paid in order to be professional is a dumb as the idea that someone should only be good if they're going to be rewarded.

HK-47's point about "OMV integration" was the best, and very professional, AND was also still very helpful.

Also...

Zitat

Car manufacturers get paid (a lot) for supporting their users...

Don't be intentionally obtuse. You know the point being made.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And it's not ridiculous. It doesn't matter if a project is just volunteers.

It does matter. You said someone is irresponsible because they stop maintaining something. Who are you to say how someone should use their time?? People should be thankful someone volunteered in the first place.

There is very little help maintaining these plugins. We have to pick and choose which plugins we work on with what time we have. You can read into posts about why a plugin is not maintained as much as you want but telling them all the reasons you don't like their decision is not going help anything.

The idea that a project needs to be commercial or paid in order to be professional is a dumb as the idea that someone should only be good if they're going to be rewarded.

I didn't say a project has to be commercial or paid. I also didn't say they had to be rewarded to be good. I said being paid/rewarded is a strong reason people continue to support things they don't want to support. Is a volunteer ever allowed to quit or does that make them bad?? Until you have put the number of hours into this project that hk-47 has....

Don't be intentionally obtuse. You know the point being made.

I wasn't... A customer asking for features is significantly different than asking a volunteer to use more of their free time to help you.

Because my point (which I did explicitly state) was that it leaves everyone wondering what else is being neglected.

You make a lot of points (which are all pretty much criticizing others) but you offer no solutions to fix the "problems" or offer any of your time to help.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!