BitTorrent Sync 2.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

Couldn't we just update the existing plugin? :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What are the new features? i've just executed 2.0 but it just looked the same as 1.4, but black.

Well, I will tell you. There's a fantastic new feature that limits a free user to only 10 shares. Fabulous!

• Because of the changes in 2.0, I would think a new plugin would be better. This way users can choose. Version 2.0 gives user more control over shared folders, but as HK-47 noted, free users only get 10 folders.

• I've just put like to your post, but i don't think is appropiate, more like irony

:thumbup:

The sad part is that we now have Btsync, which is limited and costs money just to store data on YOUR own disks, and we have Syncthing which (in my opinion) isn't ready.

Syncthing seems promising but it's not worth the hassle. It's not packaged for Debian and that's not something I'm interested in doing. And it hasn't given me any good impressions the times I've tried it. I wanted to try using it on my phone and on my server as I do with Btsync, but it just feels buggy and unpolished. I want to like it, but I can't.

Because of the changes in 2.0, I would think a new plugin would be better. This way users can choose. Version 2.0 gives user more control over shared folders, but as HK-47 noted, free users only get 10 folders.

Maybe it would be, maybe it wouldn't. I'm not planning on adding more work for myself by having two versions for the same thing. To me Btsync died with 2.0 and I see no point for me to create a plugin for it.

• I'm running Syncthing on my OMV box using a homebaked init script, works like charm. No need for deb packages unless your lazy (Syncthing auto-updates itself by default without interaction)

I've set it up to sync my devices and its been a brezze, after the initial setup I haven't touched it and it has been working since

I use it backup me and my gf's android phones, our laptops and sync my laptop/desktop for various settings etc

• I'm running Syncthing on my OMV box using a homebaked init script, works like charm. No need for deb packages unless your lazy (Syncthing auto-updates itself by default without interaction)

I've set it up to sync my devices and its been a brezze, after the initial setup I haven't touched it and it has been working since (now a couple of months ago)

I use it backup me and my gf's android phones, our laptops and sync my laptop/desktop for various settings etc

How would you feel about writing a small how-to here? ;)

• yeah it seems HK 47 had a disappoiting test of syncthing

but we are several persons thinking that syncthing is pretty fine

i feel it works quite as nice as btsync
    just is would enjoy an good integration inside omv

i am using syncthing but outside of omv actually

• Well, up to my knowledge (and please correct me if I am wrong), the situation with btsync 1.4.x-plugin, btsync 2.x and syncthing in OMV is:

• btsync 1.4.x-plugin in OMV is operational, but an update to btsync 2.x is not possible at the moment. The developer sees no point for an update to btsync 2.x due to certain limitation introduced with version 2 of btsync
    • btsync 2.x-plugin in OMV is desired by some users but there is no one around who could make a new plugin or adapt the 1.4.x plugin.
    • syncthing plugin is desired by some users but there is no one around who could make a new plugin. Besides that synthing is considered in some use cases as not mature (in terms of multi platform support, mobile support, easy installer for the individual platforms, CPU- usage etc.).

So how to proceed?
    1. is still a good and working option. 2 should be reachable with the solid base of 1 if someone would take it on. For 3 I see somehow a longer way to go.
    Does anyone have an idea?

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. If btsync 1.4 is working for you, there is no reason to change. The repo we use only contains 1.4 so you don't have to worry about accidentally upgrading to 2.0

2. I'm sure someone could but the question is why? I don't use btsync. So what is the advantage of using 2.0 and creating a plugin for it? (I'm not going to but curious).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I suggested here in this thread that we could install Syncthing independently (without plugin) following a tutorial written by somebody who knows what to do...Does anyone want to contribute to this?

• Hi there,

2. I'm sure someone could but the question is why? I don't use btsync. So what is the advantage of using 2.0 and creating a plugin for it? (I'm not going to but curious).

In btsync 2.x there are some more possibilities in the folder permissions, bug fixes etc. as long as you stick to the free version (10 sync folder limit). Wit the paid pro version (no 10 sync folder limit) you get some more valuable features. However btsync 2 is open to the future regarding platform support, debugging etc. btsync 1.4.x stays as it is more or less as a discontinued product. Making the situation somehow more complicated is that btsync 2.x is not compatible to btsync 1.4.x, i.e. the btsync 1.4.x plugin on the the OMV server will not work with btsync 2.x on the end users platforms.

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• Hi everybody!

I'm too a btsync2+ user, I acknoledged the lack of interest by HK-47 and tried to help myself. It was easier than expected, this is what I did:

Have fun :)

*UPDATE*

sadly as soon as you apt-update or update the plugins my workaround falls apart, I've managed to recover my btsync2 running by:

• completely remove btsync from the plugins
    • manually install my btsync packages as above
    • dpkg-reconfigure btsync (in order to reconfigure the working status, sadly again it's not integrated with omg ... but it's working from its GUI)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!