Bought two WD Black 2TB drives

• So I am continuing with my NAS build and continuing to learn... albeit rather slowly. I just returned from the HDD store with two WD Black 2TB drives. I went there to pick up a 4TB HGST deskstarNAS drive but they were out. All they had was an open box 4TB deskstarNAS item that was considerably cheaper than my 2x 2TB combo purchase. Now that I am home I am seriously thinking of going back and getting the 4TB drive after reading some reviews comparing the two drives. Man I am HDD crazy. But I could test the drive extensively to determine if it is good. It would be about a 100 bucks cheaper!

Please... if any one has any words of advice please send! My goals are simply reliability. I plan on following tekkb's (sp) advice on using symlinks as I am not yet ready for raid. Not sure about LVM. I will have photos, home movies, and dvd/bluray rips on the drive(s).

-jt-

• Offizieller Beitrag

You bumped after an hour and a half??

The Black drives will be ok if your case has really good cooling. I generally try to stay away from 7200 rpm drives though. The NAS drive would definitely be a better choice. If it is cheaper, even better.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So.. Are you going to have 1, 4tb drive, vs 2, 2tb drives, or do you want to purchase the 4tb as an addition to the 2tb drives? Hard to tell from your post.

Do you have any sort of redundancy plan? If not... I would go w/ the 2x2tb. At the very least, that would give you some places to have a secondary copy of your data. You can easily set up a few rsync jobs that will back up your data from "Drive A" to "Drive "

• @KM0201 thanks, but I took the two 2TB reds back and got an open box 4TB HGST NAS drive. I am happy with this because I can try to stay at this drive size as I expand. I plan to use a 2TB "G-raid" (brand) exterior USB 3.0 / ESATA drive for the backup of family personal media. As for the DVD/BluRay rips I will chance it because I have the backup as a disk anyway.
    It is my hope that I can simply backup the shares needing protection ((i.e family photos and video) automatically using the USB backup plug in. Thank you for replying, and for the advice! I came to this decision because I am not quite ready to try a raid array... whether it be just simple mirror or not. I honestly am so enamoured with omv and backup strategies, plug-ins, and the challenge of becoming competent with Linux, CLI, and Network IP configurations that I am working on building another OMV box to add to my home network.

I didn't try to partition the 4TB drive. I created folders and set up shares for different plug ins and users. I hope this is a good way to go so that I can easily backup what I need to via an external drive. I read quite a few threads on how to test the drive and learn more about my MOBO capabilities. I am purposefully going slow because after my first install I really hosed things up by installing every plugin that I thought I would need all at once :thumbdown: . Couple this with some buggy ram and its a recipe for the need to start from scratch. Though I did learn that I could have simply reinstalled OMV, instead of reinstalling wheezy as per 'tekkb' here. I am now trying to learn how to set up openVNP. I have an older linksys wrt54g compatible with DD-WRT (or Tomato) firmware flash. I am still unclear on how to exactly set everything up but I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a VPN service. Unfortunately for me I am a little slow... it takes me a while to fully understand what is involved. I am supposing that I will require openVNP, a vnp service, and a VNP compatible router to forward just the traffic from plug-ins such as sickbeard, couchpotato, and bittorrent -though I am uncertain of whether or not I can accomplish my goals without the extra router, i.e. via settings for the plugins themselves.

~jt~

• Offizieller Beitrag

@KM0201 thanks, but I took the two 2TB reds back and got an open box 4TB HGST NAS drive. I am happy with this because I can try to stay at this drive size as I expand. I plan to use a 2TB Graid brand exterior USB 3.0 / ESATA for the backup of family personal media. As for the DVD/BluRay rips I will chance it because I have the backup as a disk anyway. Thank you for replying to my question!

I didn't try to partition the 4TB drive. I created folders and set up shares for different plug ins and users. I am purposefully going slow because after my first install I really hosed things up by installing every plugin that I thought I would need all at once :thumbdown: . Couple this with some buggy ram and its a recipe for an install to just dump.

It is my hope that I can simply backup the shares needing protection ((i.e family photos and video) automatically using the USB backup plug in.

My only concern was redundancy.. but it sounds like you have that covered, so I probably would have exchanged the two, 2tb's for the 4tb as well.

As for the USB backup plugin.. I don't use it.. but I imagine it will do what you want. If it won't, look at the rsync plugin, as I know it will (it's what I use). Scheduling the jobs was a little hokey at first, but once I figured it out.. it's been perfect.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!