Notebook HDD (WD Blue Mobile) spins down too early (after 3-4s instead of 20mins)

• Hi there,

I just noticed that my 1TB 2.5" HDD (WD Blue Mobile) always spins down after 1-2s instead of 20min as I set up in the "Physical disks" section.

After reading through this Thread: HDD's always Spinning down after 1 second instead of 30 minutes and trying a hdparm -S 120 /dev/sda it states

Code
    /dev/sda:
     setting standby to 120 (10 minutes)

but the disk spins down after 1-2s again.

I tried different combinations of APM, AAM and Spindown time without success... Every APM value >= 128 seems to keep the disk spinned up all the time (regardless of the Spindown time) and every APM value <= 127 makes the disk spin down after 3-4 seconds after the head reached parking position).

If anyone can help me out I'd be very greatful.

My actual values in the OMV settings are:
    APM: 255 - Disabled
    AMM: Disabled
    Spindown time: 20 min

The hdparm.conf looks like this:

Code
    quiet
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD10JPVX-22_WD-WX31E945WDXP {
        apm = 255
        spindown_time = 240
        write_cache = on
    }

This is a bit strange, as hdparm reports this settings for the disk:

Code
    Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
    Advanced power management level: 96

It seems the settings made in OMV don't reflect back to the "real" disk?! :/

My complete disk infos look like this:

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von root2 ()

• Hi root2,

I'm facing the same problem, that my discs are spinning down too often regardless what spindown time/APM setting I'm gonna set.
    And even by turning of SMART or any service that could wake up the discs, they spin up and down a couple of time per hour without any action required by any PC.

I'm really worring about my discs that they gonna fail pretty soon due to this up and down.

Have you solved or found your problem so far?

Thanks for your update - regards,
    Roland

HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8, G1610T, 10GB RAM, 1x Sandisk Ultra Plus SDSSDHP1 128GB, 2x Samsang HD203WI 2TB

• Hi Roland,

I phoned the WD support regarding the issue and I'm still waiting for an answer how to move on.

Intentionally I wanted to use my BananaPi with the drive attached as a backup and data storage system (including a audio streaming server). But this would have meant that the disk gets accesses every now and then - several times an hour - and thus gets spinned up/down very often.

In the meanwhile I only used it as a pure backup system. So it gets waked up very rarely (maybe 5 times a day) to do incremental backups. So I reduced the reads/writes to the disk and it stays spun down most of the time (I'm getting a spindup/down vs. working hours ratio < 1 at the moment which is OK for me).

Nonetheless I'm a bit frustrated because the system could do so much more than just pure backups if the disk would behave properly :(

Another option could be to keep the disk spinned up all the time at low energy levels using an APM value > 128. But as I wanted an economical, cool and quiet system this clashes a bit with this intention :)

I also had this spinup/down issue when using my ASUS Notebook. Here I set the APM to 200, so the disk keeps spinning all the time at reasonable energy and sound levels. In this scenario it's OK for me if there's a bit noise when I'm sitting in front of the Notebook. But as my BananaPi backup system is powered all the time and sitting in my working room I want it to be as quiet as possible which means no spinning disks if possible.

Let's see what WD will do in my case (as I'm not the only one facing this issues if you look through the WD Community forums). I will keep this thread updated.

Best regards.

P.S.: It's also a bit strange in my eyes that WD states that "Linux is not officially supported" by their disks. I'm wondering how many (Enterprise) Linux servers run on WD disks...

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!